seven

"Normani, you sound like shit." Michael said as he turned off the track.

The singer looked at him and gave him a fake smile. Naomi looked at Dinah and lifted an eyebrow.

"Has she spoken at all today?" She asked.

Dinah shook her head. "No."

"Mani, are you okay?" Naomi asked.

Normani gave her a thumbs up. She wasn't. Her voice was tired and she was on the verge of losing it. She had stayed up all night trying to figure out a melody for 100 Letters. Once she had figured it out, her voice was nearly gone. She had decided to sleep in hopes that it would heal, which it did. It just didn't heal enough.

"Okay, let's try again." Michael said and started playing the track.

She started on the pre-chorus because she had recorded the first verse and the refrain yesterday. "He said, 'Please, don't go away.' He said, 'Please, don't go away.' I said, 'It's too late.' I said, 'It's too late.' She said, 'Please, don't go away.'" her voice cracked.

It wasn't the good type of voice crack either. Michael stopped the fracked and Normani threw the headphones off. "My god!" She yelled, her voice nearly going out. "What's wrong now?!"

"Did you lose your voice?" Dinah asked.

"No. I'm still speaking, aren't I?" The brunette walked out of the booth.

"When did you lose your voice?" Her producer asked.

"I didn't lose my voice."

"Normani." Her manager said.

"I'm fine." Normani snapped.

The door to the room opened.

"Hey." The girl said.

"Why is she here?" Naomi asked.

"What, Camila?" Normani asked.

The shorter girl moved her hands from behind her back. "I heard your throat was hurting." She said, holding out a warm tea.

"Where'd you hear that?" The taller girl asked, taking it from her.

"You're very loud." Camila winked.

"Am not." Normani said, a ghost of a smile on her face.

Dinah studied the two. Normani's whole mood changed as soon as Camila walked through that door.

"So, you aren't fine?" The Tongan asked.

"She stayed up all night trying to figure out a melody for some song. I don't know what's it's called, but by the end of the night her voice was nearly gone." Camila said.

"Mani," Michael said. "Let's try it again."

The brunette sipped some of the tea and sat it down before walking back into the booth. She picked up the headphones she had thrown on the ground and put them on. Her producer started the track and she closed her eyes.

"He said, 'Please, don't go away.' He said, 'Please, don't go away.' I said, 'It's too late.' I said, 'It's too late.' She said, 'Please, don't go away.' She said, 'Please, don't go away.' I said, 'It's too late.' I said, 'It's too late.'" 

Michael stopped the track and Normani narrowed her eyes at him. "What's wrong now?"

"Nothing, that's was just perfect."

"Then, why the fuck did you stop the track?"

"Why it change from he to she?" Camila asked.

"Because," the older girl said, then looked at her producer. "Can you play the track now?"

"Yeah," the Cuban-Mexican said, "play her track."

Normani rolled her eyes and gave her the finger. "Shouldn't you be recording your album?" She asked.

"Just finished it." Camila said.

The older girl lifted an eyebrow. "Interesting."

"You ready?" Michael asked.

"I've been ready." Normani said.

Her producer started the track again.

"And now I can't stop thinking, that I can't stop thinking that I almost gave you everything. And now the whole thing's finished, and I can't stop wishing that I never gave you anything."

-

"I find it interesting how as soon as she showed up, you could actually sing." Naomi said.

"It was the tea." Camila said.

Normani smiled and took the tea off of the table she had set it on. "What song next?" She asked before she took a sip of it.

"Talk again." Dinah said.

"Why?" The singer asked.

"No song next. You need to rest your voice." The blonde said.

"Wouldn't want it to be gone for your performance." Camila said.

"There's this thing called lip syncing," Normani rolled her eyes. "So, I'll ask again. What song next?"

"Stop being a stubborn bitch." Naomi said.

"Okay one, I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a bitch. Two, no," the singer smiled. "Play the track for Heaven In Hiding."

"No." Michael said.

"What?" Normani looked at him.

"Come with me." Camila said.

"Why?"

"Stop being a stubborn bitch." The Latina said, holding out her hand.

"How do I know you aren't going to try to kill me?" The taller girl asked.

"If I was going to try to kill you, Normani," Camila said, "you would be dead already."

Normani smiled and grabbed her hand. The Cuban-Mexican lead her out of the building.

"Are they dating again?" Naomi asked.

"Not that I know of." Dinah shook her head.

"Did you see those pictures of us on social media?" Normani asked.

"Yes." Camila nodded as she began walking, dragging her ex behind her.

"Did you see the rumors?"

The shorter girl sighed and turned around. "I don't give a fuck about the pictures or the rumors. We are having friendly outings with each other. We aren't dating and we aren't in love." she said before she began walking again.

"We definitely aren't the last one," Normani mumbled. "I don't think I could ever fall in love with someone."

"What? Camila asked.

The taller girl shook her head. "Nothing."

Camila had heard what she said. Normani didn't think that she could ever fall in love with someone. Which meant that, in their relationship, and the more she looked at the older girl right now, Camila was the one falling in love by herself. But that wasn't enough. She couldn't stop it from happening, though. She didn't know how. She knew that in the end she would be the one that would be getting hurt...again.

-

A/N: yo