Chapter 1: The Interview

Copyright © 2017 by Kanaja Smothers

All rights reserved.

This book or any portion thereof
may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher
except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

I do not own any of the media I use in this novel. They belong to their rightful owners.

Chapter 1

I woke up this morning feeling excited and nervous. I had an interview today. I was scared as all hell. I didn't want to fuck up. I needed this job if I was gonna get out of this crappy ass apartment.

It was a nice size. One bedroom, one bathroom, a futon - in case I'm too tired to go to my room - a functional kitchen and other shit that didn't really matter like a T. V. I never wanted one in my room. Too much of a distraction. Not like I was actually "busy" in there anyway.

I hadn't seen any action since I saw Expendables 2. I guess only steroid poppin' old guys do it for me now.

The last time I had sex was on my twenty-sixth birthday. Three months before my asshole of a boyfriend cheated on me with one of my closest friends. That was two years ago. Damn!

I still hadn't talked to either of them since. They could be married by now for all I know! They deserve each other. I had to stop dwelling on these hurtful and useless ass memories. I had more important things to do.

I got up out of bed and went to the bathroom. After doing my business I got in the shower. I let the hot water run over me trying to push away my nerves.

I soaped my body nice and good. The thought of him and her made me feel dirty.

I got out and started drying off. Wiping off the mirror, I looked at my reflection. My coco colored skin was fading. Even with the red tinged cheeks from the hot water, I looked lifeless.

That's what happens when you get your heart broken.

I took out my brush and got the tangles out of my hair. White people have it good. When their hair gets knotted it takes less time to get out than a black person's. With our hair so thick and coarse it likes to get too attached for my liking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my heritage, I just think some things should be easier.

Once I was done I blow-dried it. It's gonna take a while for me to flat press it, but that's why I woke up three hours earlier than I was gonna. Not like I was getting much sleep anyway.

I stood in my closet only in my black lace underwear. Wearing this under my clothes made me feel like I had a dirty secret and it made me feel sexy.

I needed an outfit for today. I found a blue button-down shirt, a blazer, and a black pencil skirt.

When I was done dressing I went back to the closet and pulled out some three-inch heels and flats in case I decide I need to change shoes.

After doing my hair I was finally ready to go to my interview. I looked at the clock.

7:37am

I had less than a half hour to get there. I quickly made sure I had everything.

Purse.

Check.

Phone.

Check.

Keys... Keys?

They were on the table by the door. Picking them up I was headed out the door while simultaneously calling for a cab.

I only had to wait five minutes before a cab came around. He must've been close.