Chapter 4

Madison's POV

I don't know what made me do this but I ran away. I ran away from him, I ran away from the situation I feared to face. I just ran away.

I don't know how long I ran and now I am sitting on a bench in a park. Why did he have to come back? Why did he have to come back to my life? Why? I started sobbing. You're such a sobbing mess! My subconscious snaps at me. My phone buzzes and when I look at the caller, it's Liam. I ignore it and stare into the space, but my phone keeps buzzing. After few minutes it stops and then I receive a message.

Liam: where are you? Call me.

Once again ignoring the text, I start to walk back to my car. I need to get to my parents place and pick up Emma and Evan.

Holy shit!

What if Niall finds them? Will he take them away from me? The Thought itself sends shiver up my spine and I clutch my throat, in fear. He wouldn't do that, would he? Will he take away my kids if he knows he's the father?

No!

I quickly make my way back to my car and relief washes over me when I see there's no Niall or Harry. I quickly get into my car and make my way to my parents house.

I park the car in front of the house and hurry to get to the house. Once I am at the door, I knock continuously, until my mother opens the door for me.

"Hi honey. How-" she starts to speak but I cut her off and walk past her into the house in search of my kids.

Evan and Emma are sitting on the couch next to my dad and watching some cartoon. When I enter, they notice me and immediately run to me. I kneel down to their level and wrap my arms around them, hugging them tightly as if someone will take them away from me. No!

"Mommy? Are you okay?" Evan asks, pulling away from me. I then realise that I have tears running down my cheeks and he is wiping them away.

"I'm okay. Let's get to home, shall we?" I ask and they nod.

"Honey? Is everything alright?" Dad asks.

"I'll tell you later dad. I just want to go home and rest." I sigh. He nods his head though he's dying to know what's going on with me. Mum also doesn't say anything and for that, I am very very glad.

Once back to my place and I put both the kids to the bed. Even after they are fast asleep, I keep looking at them. I am afraid that if I close my eyes and go to sleep, they wouldn't be here when I wake up. Is it really going to happen or am I just being paranoid? I sigh.

"I love you both so much. I can't imagine my life without. You're my only shot of happiness." I whisper to them though I know they're not listening. I kiss their foreheads and head out of the room.

Back in my room, I lay on the bed staring up t the ceiling, thinking about him. Why did I see him? Why did I go to the ball? Why did I let Liam take me there? Why did all this happen?

I toss and turn all the night. I couldn't sleep even though I was restless. I just stared at the wall or the ceiling thinking about all the possible situations that will make us meet. Finally after so much of tossing and turning, I fall asleep.

Morning comes before I know it and I wake up with a head ache. It's Saturday and the day off. Thank god. I turn to look at the alarm clock on the night stand and when my eyes land on the clock, they widen. It's twelve in the noon and nobody woke me up. Not the kids nor my maid. I hurry out of the bed and do the morning routine and head downstairs.

Emma and Evan are sitting on the couch watching the television and eating some cookies ,I guess my maid made.

"Hey, guys." I say. They both stop eating look up to me. They both are quite and for a second, I begin to worry. "Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask them as I make myself comfortable next to them.

"Look who's up." I hear a voice and turn around to see Liam. What the hell is he doing here? "I came here to see whether you're alive or not!" He snaps at me. Did I say that aloud? "Yes. You did." He says. Uh-oh.

"Liam, I am sorry. I just.... couldn't face him." I sigh.

"You could have picked up my call or at least reply to the text." He sighs this time and sits on the arm rest of the couch. "I was so worried." He say and wraps his arms around my shoulders.

"I'm okay." I smile sadly at him.

"Did you talk to him?" He asked.

"No."

Silence.

"Okay. I gotta now. Now that I know you're fine, I am relieved. But I have plans with Sophia. So I am gonna leave." He does this a lot, rambling.

"Okay okay." I laugh. "Now go. Have fun and use protection." I whisper the last part as my kids are around. He laughs his carefree laugh and gets off the couch. He kisses the kids heads and then mine.

"Bye. Be careful." He says and heads out of the house.

The rest of the afternoon passes as I watch the television with the kids and do my work as well. Oh, by the way, I work as a interior designer. I just help my boss with his dealings and design few houses. It's fun and helps me pay bills and all.

In the evening, I bake some cookies with the kids. They both have flour all over their face and I laugh quietly.

"Mommy! You're laughing at your prince." Evan says to me furrowing his eyebrows making it seem like he's angry, but he's so cute!

"You are not a prince Evan. Eric is a prince." Emma says in 'duh' tone and I laugh at them.

"Am I not a prince mommy?" Evan pouts.

"Of course you are a prince, baby." I say and he grins ear to ear then sticks his tongue out at his sister. I laugh at the both of them. They both join me.

Our laughter is interrupted by the door bell and I wash my hands before making my way to the door. The door bell keeps ringing. Who the hell is that?

"I'm coming!" I shout and walk faster. When the door opens, I see the last person I would imagine I would see. The last person I want to see. My heart races and all the anxiety from the morning comes back.

"Didn't expect me here, did you?" He smirks.

_______________

Word count: 1182