GLC; 19

~-~-~-~-~-~

not edited

We all stare up at the small building in front of us, it looked homey and cute, even though it was a drug store. It just gave me this settling vibe, yet I knew it meant danger.

"Alright Darren you got the weapons?" James asks, pulling out a cigarette and letting it lay on his pink lips. A worker, Darren, nodded and pulled out a large duffel bag.

I made sure to stay close to Charlie, he was the best comforter at the moment. Charlie hung his arm around my shoulders, I could almost feel James jealous stares but I chose to ignore it.

"Should we make a plan?" I ask in a hushed voice. It was getting dark and cold, everything was turning even more sketchy and scary.

"We already have one." A worker says from behind me, I never know what to call them. Workers? Trackers? I don't know all their names so I can't call them each name by name. I shrug it off quickly, that isn't the top thing to do on my list at the moment.

"Okay, Darren and I will walk in and buy something just to act casual. I'll make a big deal about the price and ask the see the manager. The manager will come out and then leave it to me." James says with determination.

"No, I want to go in." I demand, raising my head with confidence. James holds my stare for a full five seconds before nodding in submission, ha. Grace 2, James 0.

"But you stay behind me no matter what, deal?" James says, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah sure." I shrug, finally I'm gonna be in some action.

"Alright let's go in, everyone else stay out here for backup. If something happens come in and help, the extra weapons are in those duffel bags." James calls out, pointing to the duffel bag behind the group of workers.

James walks in the store casually with Darren right beside him. I grab Charlies arm and pull him the store with me, I was petrified but I wouldn't let it show.

I puff my chest out and stand up straighter to look more intimidating. I put on my best game face, even though I probably looked constipated.

"Hello there, may I help ya?" I see an old man behind the counter say loudly. He had a grey scruff and a cigar hanging off his lips. He had a large beer belly and reeked of alcohol, he looked like he had a natural bitch face. I quickly catch myself from giggling and put on another game face.

"Yeah, gimme a couple packs of Lucky Strikes." James says casually, pulling out his wallet in the process.

The old man behind the counter grabs two packs of the cigarette brand and sets them down on the old counter.

"That'll be fifteen dollars and fifty five cents." He mutters, grabbing change from the cash register.

"Nah man it should only be thirteen bucks." James says, his eyebrows furrowed. He was good at acting.

"Well you asked for two packs, that's how much it costs." The old man shrugs.

"Yeah but two packs don't cost fifteen bucks!" James yells angrily, slamming the packs down on the counter in fake fury.

"Yes it-"

"No, I wanna speak to the manager." James challenges, crossing his arms.

"Alright, fine." The old man mutters, he goes to the backroom and soon comes back with a tall skinny guy. He was super tall, not as tall as James of course, but he super skinny with a long black beard and a bald head. His face was filled with different piercings and face tattoos.

"What's the problem?" He croaks out, it was obvious that he was a huge smoker. I could smell his breath all the way in the back of the store. It reeked so bad I had to strain myself from coughing. I wrinkle my nose in disgust and try to contain my actions.

"It should cost at least ten bucks, not fifteen." James spits out, sliding the packs of cigarettes across the counter.

"Bro with the tax it cost fifteen bucks. Take it or leave it." The manager spits out with a bored resting bitch face on. I swear everyone in here has a resting bitch face.

"No I'm not leaving without it!" James yells.

"Fine, but we get the girl." The manager mutters, nodding his head towards me. I gulp heavily with wide eyes, please no.

"One second." James spits, walking over to me and whispers in my ear.

"Do it."

"What?!" I whisper/yell in horror, this can't be happening. He's actually giving me away?! What the hell?!

"Just hear me out, you follow him and he'll lead you to where Misty is. I'll be right behind you, he won't hurt you. I promise." James whispers, his face held serious emotions, he wasn't playing around.

"Yeah, uh, okay." I nod hesitantly, I let go of a petrified Charlie and slowly walk towards the man behind the counter.

Instantly I knew I couldn't back out now, this was it.

The manager smirks at me before reaching for my arm, he tugged on my sleeve and pulled me towards an old oak door. I look behind me and find James staring at me with worry from the counter.

"I'll be fine!" I mouth with a reassuring smile, I'm doing this for Misty and James. It'll be okay, it's not like I'll die, right?

The door opens and my eyes widen with fear once I realize where it leads to, there were dark old stairs that lead to cages.

Effing cages.

I could already here the whimpers and cries from the basement which made my fear rise. The manager puts his hand on the small of my back making me feel even more uncomfortable, if that's even possible.

I look behind me only to find the cashier passed out cold on the floor, James had a stone cold look towards the managers hand which was touching my back. I could see his eyes darken, but I was pulled away when the manager pulled me down the stairs. I cry out from his tight and firm grip but quickly recover.

"Don't be weak." I whisper to myself low enough so nobody could hear.

I look around at all the cages surrounding me, people were crying and banging on the bars in fear which only made me want to be swallowed by the ground even more.

But the only thing that really caught my eye was a cell in the way back with held a girl with long black hair and hazel eyes, her face held shock of astonishment once  her eyes set on me. I choked back my tears and gasped.

"Misty."