Chapter 0.1

September 2017

|| Marabelle ||

"Marabelle! You've been in the shower for like twenty minutes already! Get out!" My best friend Mallory's voice screamed from outside the bathroom door. I blinked a couple of times to bring myself out of the trance that James Arthur's song Say You Won't Let Go had put me in. The song came on my playlist and soon enough I was imagining unrealistic scenarios based on the song. Shutting the water off, I grabbed my towel and then wrapped it around my slender frame before stepping out of the shower.

"Mal, stop screaming," I groaned at my blonde best friend as I stepped out of the bathroom.

"Then next time don't take so long," She said with a cheeky smile before stepping into the bathroom and closing the door behind her.

Padding down the hallway, I made it to my room and then dried off properly before choosing my outfit for the day which consisted of a pair of blue skinny jeans, a longsleeved shirt and my beige uggs because it was kinda chilly out. I hummed along to a Big Sean song as I did my hair and make up before making sure I had all the notes and files I needed for my lectures today. Ah, the life of a uni student.

Both Mallory and I are studying at Princeton university here in New Jersey. We're both originally from North Carolina though. After Mal had finished showering and getting dressed we quickly ate last nights leftover pizza for breakfast before heading to Starbucks before campus.

"I aint been getting high
Well maybe a little, baby I don't wanna lie
I know when you text me girl, I don't always reply
Well you're not an angel either, you can't even fly
I notice, you think that you know shit
All this shade that's comin' at me I wonder who throws it
They can't see the vision, boy they must be out of focus."

Mallory and I basically screamed out the lyrics to the song Ispy as I drove to the stereotyped basic white girl coffee shop. Our favourite thing to do is rock out to songs while driving. Its probably the soul purpose of any of us ever driving anywhere.

After getting our coffee's, we made the journey to the Princeton campus. Because we're already third year, we don't live in res anymore. We're big and cute enough to look after ourselves now.

"You're still coming tonight?" Mal asked me as she sipped on her caramel latte.

"For the one hundredth time, yes Mal. I'll be there," I said with a laugh. Tonight's finally the night that I get to meet Mallory's boyfriend of six weeks already. You must think I'm an awful best friend for not having met him yet to make sure he's appropriate for my bff but in between classes, trying to maintain a good gpa and being at the dance studio, there just hasn't been time.

"Okay, good," She said. "My lectures end at one-fifteen so I'll just uber back home. Are you going to the studio after your lectures?"

"Yeah, prolly," I nodded. "I wanna work out the choreography to the T before I show you guys." Mallory and I have been dancing since we were four years old and although we're in college and studying what one may call a professional profession, we haven't left our dance roots behind.

We dance at a studio along with three of our other friends.

"Cheers, bitch. See you later," Mal said to me as we got out of my car once we had reached campus.

"Later, fam." I gave her a peace sign before we headed off to the different buildings that our lectures were held in. I'm currently majoring in graphic design and I love it almost as much as I love dancing. I plan on going into advertising after school. Once the sixty or so of us had piled into the lecture hall, I slipped my glasses on and then began to pay attention to my lecturer.