Chapter 0.9

December 2017

|| Marabelle ||

One week later I was back in Jersey. School was back in full swing despite the fact that we'd be going on break again for Christmas and New Year.

"Nobody sees
Nobody knows
We are a secret, can't be exposed
That's how it is
That's how it goes
Far from the others
Close to each other
That's what we uncover, cover, cover
That's what we uncover."

The Zara Larsson song blasted through the dance studio as Mallory and I worked through a ballet piece that she had choreographed for a show we'd be performing in sometime next year.

"That was good," Mal said as the song came to an end. "Just keep your leg straight on that last pirouette so you call fall into the plie."

"Got it," I nodded as I grabbed my towel to wipe the sweat off me.

"Alright, let's head out. I think I hear some pizza and Starbucks calling our names," She said with a grin as she pulled off her pointe shoes and packed them in her bag.

"Couldn't have said it better myself," I laughed as I packed up my stuff.

After stopping at Starbucks and Dominos, we got home and then climbed into my bed ready to gossip the night away.

"Your mom keeps texting me to try and get me to make you reconsider the whole Travis situation," Mal told me with a laugh as she chewed on some pizza.

"I hate to break it to her, but it aint ever gonna happen again," I snorted.

"I still can't believe him though," She said. "I mean, really? Did he honestly think you'd sleep with him?"

"So sad when they're that delusional," I said with a fake sigh.

"Hmm, tragic isn't it," She said and then burst into laughter.

"Anywhoo hah, what's the lowdown on you and Scott? Still not said those three words yet?" I asked her.

"No," She sighed. "I want to but the timing's just always off."

"It shouldn't be about timing though," I said.

"I know," She mumbled. "But I just want it to be perfect."

"Don't worry about it, sweetie. You'll get there," I told her encouragingly.

"You know," She said to me with a grin, "we needa find you a boyfriend."

"I don't need a boyfriend," I scoffed.

"Yes you doooo!" She said. "You've been single since you and Travis broke up! That was like, middle of senior year!"

"I'm okay with a casual hook-up every now and then. I don't need a boyfriend," I said.

"But eventually you're gonna want more, Mara," She said.

"Yeah, eventually, not now."

"Oh come on. What about Nathan Sanford. He's pretty cute," She said.

"Ew," I gagged. "Why would I wanna date a frat boy?"

"Okaaay. What about Ethan Martinez?"

"The preppy kid from my art class? I'll pass thanks."

"Lloyd Jones?"

"I have standards, you know."

"Cameron Watkins?"

"He's dating that Sierra chick now."

"Freddie?"

I stared at my best friend with a what-the-fuck-are-you-saying kinda look. "Freddie as in Freddie as in Peaches?"