Chapter 0.16

March 2018

|| Marabelle ||

"Daaamn girl! You lookin' so good! You fine as fuck! Hashtag double tap that! Victoria's Secret models who? Somebody call Sports Illustrated! Whoo wee! Aye mami, you gonna bring alllll the boys to the yard! You are the milkshake!"

"Mallory, shut up," I laughed at my best friend.

"Mara, you are looking like a damn snack!" She said to me with an approving smile.

"You think?"

"I know!" She said. "Brad's gonna have a hard time keeping his jaw in place."

"Aww, thanks sweetie," I grinned at her.

Tonight Bradley and I are going out on our date and I made sure that my outfit was totally on point. I chose to wear a figure hugging black dress with a semi-deep neckline and a pair of black heels. Mal had done my hair and make-up for me and to say I looked good was an understatement.

When there came a knock on the door, Mal went to go answer it while I quickly checked that I looked okay before going into the living room.

"Holy shit." was all Bradley could say as I came into view.

"Close your mouth, McBride. You might just catch flies," I said to him with a smirk.

"Can't help it," He retorted as he quickly recovered. "You look fucking jaw dropping. I might have to make good on that mind blowing under the stars sex I was talking about."

"Hey, keep it in your pants, mister!" Mallory teasingly scolded him.

"With the way she looks, I don't know if that'll be possible," He told her with a grin.

"Just full'a smart comments, aren't you," I chuckled.

After we had said goodbye to Mal, Bradley and I left the apartment building.

"You really do look breathtaking," He said to me as he drove down the slightly damp streets because it had been raining earlier.

"Well you don't look too bad yourself," I told him because it was very true. He looked absolutely delectable in his traditional suit and tie and slicked back hair.

"What can I say, some people are worth making an effort for," He said with a grin.

When we had arrived at the French restaurant Pointe La Valle, Bradley was the epitome of chivalrous by opening doors and pulling my seat out for me.

"Are you good for the midterm tomorrow?" He asked me while we sat scanning through the menu.

"Yeah, I think I'll be able to get a B-plus, A if I'm really lucky," I said. "You?"

"I'll be okay," He said. "I'm sure I've studied enough."

After we had ordered our meals, we continued to make good conversation. Even if this thing with Bradley didn't go anywhere, I would still want him around as the friend he's always been because he and I gel so well together.

Halfway through the meal, Bradley brought up the point of this evening.

"Marabelle, you're a great girl and quite honestly, you're the kinda girl my parents would be proud of me for bringing home," He said, causing me to smile. "And, I'm not really sure how you feel about me, but if you're willing to give us a try then I really think this could go somewhere."

My mind screamed 'Yes, give Bradley a chance! He's perfect for you!' but my heart argued 'No, you know you like Freddie! Bradley can't replace him!'

If I agreed with Bradley to see where he and I could take a relationship, I'd be annihilating any chance I could possibly have with Freddie. But if I say no to Bradley, I could be giving up something possibly great for something that could never happen.

"Why do you look conflicted?" Bradley asked me, snapping me out of my internal battle.

"It's all just so complicated," I sighed.

"Why?" He questioned, looking more concerned than impatient.

"Look, Brad, you're an amazing guy and everything about you is so genuine and I'm a lucky girl to be friends with someone like you. But I'm just so caught because there is another guy but I don't know if that's ever gonna go anywhere," I told him, huffing frustratedly.

"Why not?" He asked.

"He's dating my friend Delilah," I told him.

"Delilah Kingsley?" He questioned.

"Yup," I nodded.

"So you have a thing for Freddie Rivers."

"The very one," I sighed. "But the thing is, he and Delilah are getting serious but I can't help but feel that maybe, just maybe, there's a chance for us... I mean, it sounds stupid but..."

"It doesn't sound stupid," He said gently. "You clearly have serious feelings for the guy and if I were you, I'd act on them before he and Delilah are in too deep."

"But say I do and he doesn't feel the same?"

"Hey, I'll always be here," He chuckled.

"I'm not gonna make you my rebound, Brad," I laughed a little.

"Look, Mara, life's too short to not take chances. You don't wanna look back at him and think 'what if' because that's not how things should be. Life's all about taking chances, yano," He said.

I couldn't help but smile. This is why I'm friends with this guy.

"So you'd be okay if you and I just stayed friends?" I asked.

"That's all I need," He said and then cheekily added, "and maybe a hook-up or two if you're ever single."

I laughed. "You really are something, Bradley McBride."

After we had finished our dinner, we went walking around the city park just talking for a while before he took me back home.

"Thanks for tonight, Brad. I really did have a good time," I told him as we stood outside my apartment door.

"I did too," He said with a smile. "Even thought it didn't turn out the way I hoped it would, I'm still glad that we went out."

"I am too, Brad."

"And Mara, things will work out for you the way fate intended them too, okay?" He said as he pulled me into a hug.

"Yeah, okay," I said with a small smile. "Thanks, Bradley."

"No problem, Marabelle," He said softly. "But Marabelle?"

"Yeah Bradley?"

"You in that dress is still making me all kinds of hard."

I chuckled lightly. "Goodnight, Bradley."

He grinned at me. "Night, Marabelle."

***

A/N: This chapter was short. Sorry fam ._.

QOTD: Do you have a friend you were once friends w benefits/ kissing buddies with but ended up being way too good friends to keep up w that?

AOTD: Nope. Bae and I have been dating too long for that to have ever happened to me.