Chapter 0.11

December 2017

|| Marabelle ||

"So what's the deal? Are y'all gonna see each other again?" Mallory asked me the next morning as she, Delilah and I sat in my bed eating cookie dough ice-cream for breakfast because we're dare devils like that.

"Hmm," I nodded. "We're gonna pop out for lunch before the Maggie Lindemann concert."

Yesterday at the first day of the Rocking The Daisies festival I met a cute guy by the name of Luke and we really hit it off. So much that we've planned to have lunch today to get to know each other a little more.

"Ah, that's so cute!" Delilah cooed.

"And so is he," Mallory winked.

"I'll see where it goes," I said, "but I'm not looking for anything committed."

"You know, Mara, its not so bad being in a relationship," Delilah said to me.

"Yeah, cause now you know," Mal said to her with a teasing grin.

Delilah and Freddie made their relationship official on Thursday evening and they're both totally smitten with each other.

"He's just so sweet and amazing," She sighed. "I'm so lucky to have met someone like him."

"Freddie's totally the kind of guy you'd want to take home to meet your parents," Mal told her.

"Well if things keep going the way they are, I just might," She giggled.

If things keep going the way they are? Y'all been dating for like 3 minutes. Calm down.

I couldn't help but mentally sigh as I realised that my inner ugly green-eyed monster was coming out to play for some unexplained reason.

An hour or so later we decided to get up and ready for the day ahead. After spending a large amount of time in the shower, I wrapped myself in a fluffy white towel and then padded into the closet to chose my outfit for the day.

"What happened this morning?" I heard Mallory ask as she walked into the closet while I was hunched over my suitcase looking for an outfit.

"What do you mean?" I asked, turning to face her.

"When Delilah was talking about taking Freddie home to meet her folks you had this look. I mean, I only noticed it cause I know you so well," She said.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

"Marabelle," She said with a knowing look.

I sighed, knowing that I couldn't lie to my best friend. "Its just that, everytime she talks about Freddie like that...I dunno, I get kinda jealous and honestly, I have no idea why."

"Cause you have a thing for him?" She suggested.

"No way," I shook my head. "I don't have more than platonic feels for him."

"Then why get jealous?"

"I told you, I don't know," I huffed as I pulled a beige strappy romper out of my suitcase along with a pair of brown gladiator sandals.

"Mara," She groaned frustratedly, "you. like. Freddie."

"No I don't," I shook my head as I grabbed a lacy bra and then put it on before standing up so Mal could clip it for me. "Do you know what I think the reason is?" I asked, suddenly coming up with the most logical explanation.

"What?"

"You're dating Scott and so Freddie and I spent large amounts of time together because you two would be off doing your couple nonsense. Now that he's in a relationship, I don't have anyone to hangout with like that anymore and I guess my inner bitch is lowkey taking out my loneliness on their relationship," I explained as I continued to get dressed.

"That's such a bullshit excuse and you know it," She scoffed.

"No, its perfectly logical," I said.

"Step one: denial," She muttered before walking out.

Shaking my head at my best friend, I continued to get ready for today.

***

Luke's tongue molded perfectly with mine as we stood in an isolated corner making out.

We had gone out to lunch as planned and gotten to know each other a little before coming back to the festival. After watching Maggie Lindemann perform her set, we decided to let our mouths get to know each other.

I moaned as I felt him squeeze my butt and then let his hands travel up to my waist.

"Fuck, you're gorgeous Annabelle," He groaned as he peppered kisses down my neckline.

Hold up. The fuck is Annabelle?

"Its Marabelle," I spat as I pushed him away.

"Oh, didn't I say that?" He asked with an innocent smile.

"No, you didn't," I growled as I turned to walk away. We've literally known each other for a day but he still doesn't know my name? No fam. That's so off-putting.

"Wait, where are you going?" He asked as he pulled me back by the wrist.

"Away from you," I scoffed. "This was cute and all but I'm done now."

"What the fuck? Who said you can walk away?" He snapped.

"I did," I snapped back, pulling my wrist away. "Or rather, Annabelle did."

"No way," He said, pulling me back again. "I didn't spend my time pining over you for nothing. You're a fine girl, but you'd look even better in my bed."

"In your dreams," I scoffed.

"I'm gonna make that dream a reality," He said, squeezing my wrist tight.

I tried to ignore the pain and keep up my strong front. "You'd better let go of my wrist right now," I growled.

"Or what?" He challenged.

"Or you'll have to deal with me," Freddie's voice cut in.

Luke chuckled bitterly. "Who are you? Her knight in shining armor?"

"I'm no ones knight in shining armor," He said as he came closer. "I'm just about to kick your ass if you don't let go of her right now."

"I'd like to see that -" Before Luke could finish his sentence, Freddie's fist had connected with his jaw, knocking him to the ground.

"I don't ever want to see you anywhere near her again," Freddie said lowly to him before wrapping his arm around my waist and leading me away.

"Holy shit," I breathed once we were out in the open.

"Are you okay?" He asked me softly, looking down into my brown eyes.

"I think so," I said, swallowing hard and then wrapping my arms around his torso. "Thanks for being there, Freddie."

"No problem, Belle," He murmured and then pressed a soft kiss to the crown of my head. "I'll always be there for you."

***

Hours later I was curled up in a blanket on Evan's couch. After what happened this afternoon, I decided to bail on the rest of the concert and came to my brother's house. Thankfully Pia's not here. Something about a trip to Cancun with a couple of her friends. A trip no doubt paid for by Evan.

"You still don't wanna tell me what happened?" Evan asked as he handed me a mug of hot cocoa.

"No," I mumbled. "Did you make this like momma does?"

"No one can make hot cocoa like momma does," He snorted. "But I think I got pretty close."

"Thanks," I mumbled and then sipped on the delicious chocolatey goodness.

"What happened today, Mara?" He asked with a sigh as he wrapped his arms around me.

I thought back to how Freddie had saved me from a sticky situation earlier. How he hadn't hesitated to stand up for me when I needed him to. Sure, I could hold my own but had things gone further, I don't know if I would have done. There's no way I could have fought Luke off.

Freddie was there... And now things are clearer to me.

"I think I may have feelings for one of my best friends," I murmured.

"What? Who?" He questioned.

"Freddie," I mumbled. "Mal's boyfriends best friend."

"So if you like him then what's the problem?" He asked, his voice slightly on edge.

"He's dating someone," I sighed. "They literally started dating on Thursday."

"Wait, did you like recently start liking this guy? Like say, on Thursday?"

"I think I liked him before. I just didn't know it," I said, suddenly thinking back to the morning after Freddie and Delilah's first date nearly two weeks ago when I got super jealous.

"Mara, even if you really like this guy, don't get in the middle of his relationship. You know that won't end up well," He said.

"A relationship is meant for two people, Ev. I know how to count," I muttered.

"As much as I don't like the idea of my baby sister having a crush," He said, "I'm gonna offer you some brotherly words of advice."

"Oh gee, what did I do to deserve this," I wondered sarcastically.

"Shut up and listen," He scoffed. "If you really like this guy, you need to find out how he feels about you. If he liked you before he started dating this new girl then there's definitely a chance for the two of you. If not, then I guess you just have to move on."

"That was shitty advice," I said. "But yeah, I get what you're saying."

"But Mara?"

"Hmm?"

"If this guy does like you but makes you cry at some point, I'll break his face," He said seriously. "And if he doesn't like you back and you end up crying about it, I'll still break his face."

I laughed a little. "I don't doubt you will."

"I love you, baby sister," He said and then kissed my forehead.

"I love you too, big brother," I said with a smile.

Now that I've admitted my feelings for Freddie to myself, I have a feeling that my life is about to become that much more difficult.