Chapter 0.28

July 2018

|| Marabelle ||

Two weeks later Mallory and I found ourselves in Charlotte. My dad decided to make a huge business acquisition by buying the high school I used to attend. There was something about it going through a financial difficulty and my dad saved it from going into the red by buying it. Now there's this whole big banquet to welcome in the newly renamed Jaimeson Academy.

"Lowkey wish we were still in high school right now," I said to Mallory as we lounged in my room a few hours before the big event.

"Cause then you'd literally own the place," She snickered.

"Remember when Mr Sears used to say to me, "excuse me, Ms Jaimeson, but is your name on the school doors? No its not. So I suggest you get off your high horse and do what I tell you". Jesus, he was a cunt," I laughed.

"Now your name actually is on the doors," She laughed along. Man I wish I was still in high school. I would have milked this advantage for all its worth.

She sighed in amusement and then said, "sooo, I hear Travis is gonna be there tonight."

"Of course he is," I said with an eyeroll. "All the alumni and their families are." And because Travis' dad is part of the alumni, of course he's gonna be there. Ew.

"I'll "accidentally" spill punch on him if you'd like me to," She offered.

"Would you be a dear and poison it instead?" I asked.

"Of course. Anything for my best friend," She said, causing us both to burst into laughter.

"Mara, Mal?" Came Evan's voice from outside my room.

"Yeah?" We both called.

"Momma says you two should start getting dressed now," He said.

"Okaaay," We said before we heard his footsteps walk away.

It was two hours until the function so we probably had to start getting ready right away in order to avoid being late.

While Mallory showered, I painted my nails a pretty pale pink colour before letting them dry off just as Mal had finished her shower. I chose not to shower because I already took one this morning.

Nearly two hours later we were dressed and ready for the night.

Mal looked absolutely stunning in a maroon coloured lace dress paired with killer black stilettos. Her long blonde hair fell down her back in pin straight form and her make-up looked incredible. She literally looks like she stepped off a pinterest fashion board.

I, on the other hand, chose to wear a white satin strapless dress that stopped at mid thigh and a pair of silver peeptoe heels. I left my hair in curls and kept my make-up in light solid colours.

Needless to say, my bff and I looked incredible.

"Are you two ready yet?" My mom asked as she and Mallory's mom walked into my room.

"Yup," I nodded as I clipped on my locket that Freddie had given me for my birthday.

"All ready," Mal said just as she squirted on some perfume.

Downstairs dad and Evan were waiting impatiently for us.

"Took you women long enough," Dad huffed.

Mom raised her eyebrow at him. "We'd be more than happy to stay home and watch a couple of George Clooney movies," She said to him.

"Eh, no. That won't do," Dad said, clearing his throat. "You all look beautiful."

"Thought so," Mom said before leading us all out the door and into the chartered car.

"Your momma totally wears the pants in that relationship," Mal snickered to me.

"Tell me about it," I laughed.

The drive to my old high school was fairly quick and when we got there we found that the whole event was already in full swing.

The next hour was spent greeting old teachers and people that I knew as well as smiling for a butt-load of photographs because apparently this whole thing is a pretty big deal.

When I finally had a gap, I snuck off to the courtyard where no one was present for a breather. Smiling and being nice to everyone for such a long time really takes its toll on one.

"I see we have the same idea," A very familiar voice said to me with a laugh.

I turned to face the person. "Tayla!"

"Oh, its so good to see you, Marabelle!" She said as she pulled me into a tight hug.

Tayla Andersen is my brother's ex girlfriend. When they were together, I easily looked to Tayla as an older sister. I was absolutely crushed when they broke up.

"You too," I told her. "I didn't know you'd be there."

"Yeah, both my momma and daddy are part of the alumni squad and I was dropping in from New York so I figured I'd come with," She told me.

"Wait, New York? I thought you lived in England still, no?"

"I only just moved back," She explained. "I got an offer from an accounting firm that I just couldn't refuse."

"Oh, that's incredible! Congrats!"

"Thanks," She smiled at me.

"So um, since you're in New York, have you maybe met up with Evan at some point?" I asked, trying to seem as casual as possible.

"Uh, yeah," She nodded. "We actually had lunch a week or two back."

"Oh, that's great," I said, internally freaking out.

Let me tell you all about Tayla and Evan's relationship.

They were high school sweethearts. They started dating during their freshman year and were literally the perfect couple. They were best friends as well as lovers. Practically the centers of each others universes. That all shattered three years into their university careers. See, Tayla got a once in a lifetime opportunity to go study in England at Oxford University and obviously she just couldn't pass up that opportunity. She and Evan fought like crazy about it but eventually she decided to follow her dreams and go, thus ultimately ending their relationship. So tragic, I know.

"And what about you? I hear you're majoring at Princeton, no?" She said.

"Yup," I nodded. "In graphic design."

"Ah, you're going into advertising, I presume?" She said.

"Exactly," I nodded.

"That's great. I always knew you'd either have a future in creating things or dancing," She said with a small laugh.

"Marabelle? Tayla? You guys might wanna come in now. They're starting with the speeches," Evan said as he stepped outside.

"Oh yay. This is gonna be fun," I groaned, totally not excited to be bored to death by a bunch of boring speeches.

When we got inside, I quickly found Mallory sitting at our designated table along with our mothers and the principle of the school.

"Did you know that Tayla's back in the states?" I asked my best friend.

"Tayla Andersen? As in Ev's ex girlfriend?" She asked wide eyed.

"Hmm," I nodded. "And she's living in New York! As in New York that Evan lives in! And they had lunch together!"

"Oh my god! That's so amazing!" She silently squealed. Even though Mal wasn't around when Ev and Tayla dated, she knows the whole story and ships them as much as I do.

"Mallory, hush darling," Leanne said to her.

"Sorry, momma," She quickly apologised.

"So do you know if -" She began but was cut off by the speeches being started by some bald guy I hadn't ever met. "Later," She whispered.

The next hour or so was spent listening to the worlds most boring speeches before I decided to duck out to the bathroom. After I had relieved myself of all the grape cider I had drunk, I quickly washed my hands before decided to go and explore the parts of the school that weren't locked.

It really didn't feel like it had only been three years since I had last been here. It felt like just the other day Mallory and I were walking down the hallway giggling about nothing with our group of friends being typical teens.

Sitting down on a bench, I took in the hallway of classrooms and lockers that hadn't changed much.

"Thought I might find you here," Travis' voice said.

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want?"

"This is our bench," He said as he sat down next to me. "Thought I'd come see if its still standing."

What Travis said was true. The bench we were sitting on was dubbed our bench because its where he asked me out for the first time.

♪Flashback♪

"So, I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I'm sure
There's no need to complicate,
Our time is short,
This is our fate, I'm yours."

I quietly sang the Jason Mraz song as I sat on the bench close to my locker waiting for Mallory to get to school.

"Woah, you're really good at that singing thing," I heard Travis Wesson say to me as he sat down.

"Thanks," I giggled.

"So uh, you're waiting for Mallory I guess?" He asked.

"Yup," I nodded. "She's really late though."

"Uh," He cleared his throat. "Can I ask you something real quick?"

"Yeah, sure," I nodded as I brushed a piece of hair out of my face.

"So uh, I was wondering -"

"Yo, Wesson! You ask her out yet?" CJ Barton, Travis' best friend, called to Travis as he walked passed.

"Dude!" Travis hissed at him.

"Ohhhh," CJ hummed. "Uh, just pretend I wasn't here," He said before scurrying away.

"Sorry about CJ," He groaned.

"That's okay," I giggled, feeling my cheeks heat up. "So uh, you wanna ask me something?"

"Yeah uh, I was wondering if maybe, like uh, if you're not busy on Friday, uh -" He stopped nervously then took a deep breath before blurting out, "do you wanna go out with me on Friday night if you're not busy?"

Oh the inside I was freaking out because I've had a crush on Travis since sophomore year and we've hardly ever spent any time alone.

"Yeah sure, I'd like that," I said shyly.

"Great," He grinned at me.

"Have you asked her now?" CJ asked as he popped his head around the corner.

"CJ!" Travis hissed at him.

"Sorry, I'm gone," His best friend laughed.

"So uh, Friday?" He confirmed with me.

"Friday."

♪Flashback over♪

"Yeah, it was," I mumbled.

"Marabelle," He said, using his index finger to tilt my head up so that I was looking at him. "Tell me you don't feel anything for me anymore. Tell me that so I can get you out of my head."

"I don't feel anything for you anymore," I said flatly.

His expression dropped but before I could comprehend anything, he quickly pressed his lips against mine.

After getting over the initial shock, I pushed him away and stood up, totally ready to slap a bitch.

"What the hell was that, Travis?!" I snapped.

"What part of I want you back don't you get, Marabelle?" He huffed frustratedly.

"What part of I don't want you anymore don't you get, Travis?" I snapped. "I have a boyfriend now! One that I lo -care about a lot!"

"Boyfriend?" He looked at me darkly.

"Yes," I choked out. "A boyfriend. So do me a favour and stay away from me."

And with that I stormed away from him while digging my phone out of my clutch and unlocking the smartphone then dialling Freddie's number.

I shouldn't have to tell him about that feelingless kiss, should I? But I should because I don't wanna hide anything from him.

I didn't kiss Travis back so I didn't cheat.

I kept repeating that as the phone rang multiple times before going to voicemail.

"Hey! You've reached Freddie. Call me back later or shoot me a text. Thanks."

I sighed. "Hey, baby. Please call me as soon as you get this... Thanks."

As I ended the call, I trudged back into the hall and to the table.

"The fuck were you? You nearly missed your daddy's speech," Mallory said to me as I sat down.

"Travis," I mumbled.

"What did he do?" She asked quietly just as my dad started speaking.

"I'll tell you later," I whispered.

She nodded at me but frowned in concern.

I didn't kiss Travis back so I didn't cheat.

Those were the words I had to keep chanting to myself as I urgently waited for Freddie to text me back or something so we could talk because as of now I felt guilty as hell. But I knew I'd feel even guiltier if I didn't tell Freddie.

And at this point in time I've never hated Travis Wesson more in my damn life.  

***

Ayyye, welcome to thee DRAMA! What do you guys rate is gonna happen next? Thoughts on Freddie's reaction? :)

@hotdamnitsliah is publishing soon! Look out for updates between April 27-30!! Im super stoked because I've proof read the books she's got ready and they are INCREDIBLE! Shoot her acc a follow for notifications and updates xx

Here's In My Blood by Shawn Mendes because im literally obsessed!!