Chapter 0.29

July 2018

|| Marabelle ||

"You're kidding me!"

"Nope. Serious as a heart attack."

"He actually had the nerve to kiss you?!"

"The total nerve."

"That's low, even for scum of the earth like Travis," Mallory shook her head disapprovingly.

"I know," I sighed. "And now I have to tell Freddie and I don't think I should be freaking out about it but I am."

"You didn't kiss Travis back," She said. "Freddie knows you and he trusts you so he'll believe you when you tell him that."

"But Delilah kissed another guy behind his back and that absolutely crushed him," I sighed.

"But listen to the difference of that sentence. Delilah kissed another guy. You didn't kiss anyone. He kissed you!" She said.

"I feel really shit about it though," I sighed as I opened the freezer and grabbed one pint of cookie dough ice-cream and one of cookies and cream.

"Look, nugget, I think you should tell Freddie in person, not over the phone," She advised as she grabbed two spoons out of the cutlery drawer.

"We're only back in Princeton in two days though," I sighed. "It'll look bad if I keep it from him for so long."

"But would you really do it over the phone though?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

My best friend had a point there. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Mallory, Marabelle, it's getting late. You two should be in bed by now," My mom said as she walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah, okay," I mumbled.

"Ice-cream before bed?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Absolutely, momma J," Mal nodded. "You know what they say. Sweet treats before bed equal sweet dreams."

"Hmm, I'm sure," Mom laughed.

After saying goodnight to my mother, Mallory and I headed upstairs. Just as we got into bed ready to eat ice-cream and watch Scream Queens, my phone started ringing.

I bit my lip as I looked at the caller ID. "Its Freddie."

"Answer it. Tell him you miss him and ask him about his day. Don't mention Travis," Mal said.

"Okay," I nodded before answering the call.

"Hey, baby."

"Hi, Peaches. How are you?"

"I'm all good. Sorry for calling so late though. I only just got your voicemail. Is everything okay? You sounded kinda off."

I looked at Mallory who shook her head at me.

"Uh, yeah. Everything's okay," I said.

"Are you sure? You really didn't sound good."

"Yeah... I just miss you, I guess."

"I miss you too, babygirl. But I'll see you in two more days."

"That's two more too many," I sulked.

After talking for a little while, we ended the call with promises to talk again tomorrow night.

"I feel like an asshole," I mumbled to Mallory.

"It'll be okay, nugs. He'll understand," She said to me before pressing play on her laptop.

I could only hope that my best friend was right.