Chapter 3

Newt apparated to the front door of a large white country house with trees and flowers surrounding the perimeter of the land. It was his family's house.

He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Some scuffling and noises could be heard from inside, finally the door unlocked and opened.

Standing there was a woman with orange hair layered in grey streaks from old age, she was frowning.

Newt smiled sheepishly, "Hello mother." he said awkwardly.

One second later he was being pulled into the house by his ear.

"Have you any idea how worried i've been since that article came out on the Daily Prophet?! Your beasts causing mayhem all over New York! Stacy of secrecy broken! Arrested twice! And you didn't even write to say you were okay! Do you know how stressful it's been for me Newton Artemis Fido Scamander?!"

his mother ranted pulling him into the house by his ear, once she let go, Newt winced and rubbed his ear. "Look mother I'm sorry, I just got preoccupied with stuff and I forgot to write." he insisted.

Newt's mother crossed her arms, the frown still lingering on her face, Newt sighed then opened up his arms, "Hug?" he asked hopefully.

His mother sighed, dropped her arms and gave him a big squeeze. "Oh bugger, hugs! My one weakness!" she muttered under her breath, Newt laughed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in New York, Tina and her irresponsible partner, David, were on the trail searching for mr Graves. Tina was peering behind buildings and alleyways hoping to find a trace of where Graves might be hidden, while David was telling bad jokes

"So then I was like, hey! You need an ark? Cause I NOAH guy!" he guffawed wiping tears of laughter from his eyes.

Tina stopped abruptly and turned to her partener with fury on her face. "Look. I know you have absolutely no clue what you're doing, but can you just be quiet for once! You're really starting to get on my nerves!" she demanded

David held up his hands in mock surrender, "Woah, chill I was just trying to lighten the atmosphere." he said. Tina huffed and turned around continuing to look for any sort of clue that might help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, Mum" Newt began sipping tea from his mug, "How have things been going around here."

His mother sighed, "Well to tell the truth Newton things haven't been all sunshine and rainbows since you left for New York." she said staring into her tea cup troubled

"The Ministry wants to me to sell all the Hippogriff to them so they may use them to prepare for war." she said, Newt looked agast. "For war?! But mother, Grindelwald has been captured!" he declared.

She sighed, "Honestly Newton, he is an extremely powerful wizard. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already broken out of MACUSA's cells by now." she proclaimed.

Newt bit his bottom lip, thinking about what would happen to Tina if he got out. Newt noticed his mother staring at him and he quickly cleared his throat. "But you're not actually going to give away your Hippogriffs? Are you mother?" he asked glancing up at her.

She snorted, "Not without a fight."

Just then Newt's large barn owl came swooping in through the open window and circled over their heads. His face lit up, "Ah, I was expecting this!" he said cheerfully removing the letter from the owl's leg.