Chapter 4

Ms Goldstein,

I am glad that you have decided to spend more time with your sister, I find you lucky to have a sibling as caring and as close to you as Queenie. My brother was actually in fact the exact opposite, war hero or not, I tend to find him flirtatious, snobby and vain. We didn't get along as children and we try to avoid each other is necessary.

Thank you for the paintbrush, Pickett sends his gratitude. He uses it all the time and I must say with the brush he is improving remarkably. It was very kind of you and Queenie to make it, as a thank you gift I have attached two eagle (Muggle bird) feather quills. Walking around in Diagon Alley yesterday, I passed by this strange old man selling muggle contraptions in a booth. Looking at the eagle quills made me think of America and you. I hope you and Queenie like them.

I wish you and your fellow aurors luck in the search for Mr Graves, not to put any pressure on you Tina, but if anyone has the skills to find him it would be you. Have you tried asking around, trying to find his last whereabouts? Maybe that will lead you closer to finding some sort of sign of Graves.

My book is coming along splendidly, the manuscript is nearly done. Only two more creatures to add and write about, then it's off to my editor and publisher. I must admit I am quite excited about this.

My holiday usually consists of me in some other country on an adventure finding new beasts to write and study about, but this year it's going to be different. Since it's the first time in a while my mother has had both me and my brother home for the holidays, she insists on throwing a big Christmas party. I tried to find a way out of it but my mother was stubborn on this one. Earlier today she had the tailor come in and take my measurements for a new suit, one of the reasons I dislike these kinds of social events is that I dislike wearing formal suits, they make me feel tight and stiff which only makes me more awkward. My mother is known throughout the english wizarding society for hosting the best parties, so unfortunately for me there will be many wizards and witches attending.

Do you and Queenie have any holiday plans?

Hope you enjoy the quills,

Newt Scamander

Tina searched the envelope after reading Newt's letter and pulled out two grey feathered quills. She brushed the soft plume against her cheek, it was soft and smooth. Tina happily placed her new quill on her desk where she could use it and ran off to give Queenie her gift.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mother please, I'll do anything else!" Newt begged, knees on the floor and hands clasped.

His mother scoffed, "No Newton, you may NOT! Really, greeting our guests won't kill you!" she remarked clutching her party planning clipboard and circling around the room checking for any imperfections.

Newt sighed and got up, "But mum, no one wants to see or speak to me anyways, what's the point of me coming?" he protested, she rolled her eyes

"Honestly Newton, it's just good manners. And you'll see, you are going to enjoy yourself at this party. Cause I just ordered... a giant chocolate Hippogriff!" his mother exclaimed enthusiastically waving her hands as Theseus and his father carefully brought in the chocolate statue.

Newt sighed, "Mother... might I ask why we need a life size chocolate statue of a Hippogriff?" he asked gesturing to the sculpture, Mrs Scamander sniffed regally, "Well I think it looks spectacular!" she huffed and marched out of the room muttering other chores that must be done before the party.