Chapter 8

"Hm... yes.. Uh huh... very good... all right..." Muttered Hazel Scamander as she surveyed over her son's letter.

"Well dear, this letter seems to be perfect. Though I do wish you could've used one of my pick up lines, that's how I got to marry your father you know."

Newt chuckled, "Yes those were good pick up lines mother, but I would feel like a fool if I sent a letter saying all that to Tina." he protested patting his mum on the shoulder.

Hazel shrugged, "Ah well, I tried. Now go mister and send those letter to your girlfriend!"

He knew it would be pointless to tell his mother once again that Tina was not his girlfriend, so he left.

-------------------------------------

Before sending the letter off, Newt reached for his pocketwatch to check the time when he realized it was gone. "Bloody Niffler." he groaned and tucked the letter in his pocket before running back inside to get his case.

He set down his case gently on his bedroom floor, opened the lid and clambered down. Once his feet touched the wooden floor, he raced out the shed towards the Nifflers den.

The Niffler was casually rearranging his shiny stuff when Newt came bounding towards him. "Alright you little thief... my pocket watch...now!" he demanded holding out his hand.

Before the Niffler could attempt an escape he grabbed him gently but firm and hung him upside down shaking the contents out of its pouch. Newt couldn't suppress a giggle when the Niffler bravely attempted to snatch back some of his objects. Finally the pocket watch fell to the ground and the Niffler made its escape.

Picking it up he noticed out of the corner of his eye, a small shiny earring glinting in the case sunlight. Newt gently plucked it off the grass and held it up to examine it.

It wasn't one of his mother's that was for certain, Hazel Scamander never wore earrings. And he had never seen it in the house before. It was a tiny stud earring with a pearl in the middle, no shiny diamonds or rubies just a pearl.

Suddenly he remembered where he had seen it before. Queenie had brought back that same earring to persuade Tina to wear it to the Blind Pig where the two sisters and Newt were going to this evening.

She had declined the jewelry protesting that it belonged to their mother and she didn't feel comfortable wearing it at the moment.

He had been sitting at the table drinking a cup of tea and working on his notes when they had came into the room and started arguing.

Queenie was wearing a very nice pink lacy flapper dress, feathered earrings and pale pink high heels.

Tina was looking very pretty in a dark blue dress, her dark locks wavy, and black high heels. He couldn't help but gawk at her, when she left to get her coat Queenie eyed Newt and giggled, showing him that his thought were not going unnoticed.

He blushed a furious red and quickly closed his mouth as Tina walked back into the room.

Queenie had placed the earrings beside their jewelry box and headed out the door, once they had returned, Newt could not recall if it was still there.

The Niffler must have escaped out of the case and stole the earring Newt concluded heading back to the shed eyes still captivated by the earring as he relived the memories that came into his mind of his time in the Goldstein apartment.

He wrapped it carefully, placed it securely in an envelope, and added a few more to his letter before sending it off to America, and more importantly, Tina.