Chapter 18

"We are assembled here today to debate case 166201 of the magical beast division." The Minister for Magic, Hector Fawley droned on in his high judge seat.

In the right corner for extracting the Hippogriff herd from Mrs Scamander's care we have senior executive employee Joe Augustus Carter, and his lawyer... who is currently late at the moment... In the left we have defending herself and the Hippogriff herd, Hazel Diane Scamander along with son Newton Artemis Fido Scamander and lawyer Harold Craig Thompson."

Hazel, Newt and Harold were sitting confidently in their seats facing the Minister.

The night before they had all gone over their information and Harold was confident that they had got this in the bag. All three had slept with smiles on their faces.

The minister turned to Carter and whispered, "Mr Carter, if your lawyer doesn't show up in the next five minutes I'm afraid we are going to have to cancel this court meeting."

Joe Carter crossed his arms confidently and said, "Don't worry, she'll be here."

Suddenly the door burst open with a loud bang. "So sorry I'm late!" sing songed a voice from the other end of the room.

Newt craned his neck to see who it was and was shocked to see Leta sashaying up to the seat next to Carter.

Leta Lestrange was his lawyer?!

He turned to look at his mother, her mouth was wide open in shock and surprise. Leta giggled at his face and waved.

"All right now that we are all attended for let's begin." the minister stated banging his gavel on the table. "Would Mr Carter please stand up and take a seat in the witness chair."

Once Joe Carter was sitting snuggly, Harold stood up and walked over to him. "Mr Carter-"

Harold was speaking, but Newt couldn't hear. He kept on staring in bewilderment at Leta taking notes for the case.

This was the new job position she had gotten?! Well... maybe she wasn't aware that she would be against him... yes.... That was it.....

Newt came back to reality as Harold had finished his questions and Leta stood up to question Carter.

"Mr Carter, I've just been reading your ministry records. Top employee for five months straight, a born leader and model ministry man, and in running for the next position for Minister of Magic. Tell me, what do you have against Mrs Scamander's herd?" Leta asked.

"To tell the truth I'm an animal lover myself Miss Lestrange, that's why I applied for the Magical Beast division. But with these dark times hovering above us I only decided what was meant to be done. My theory is if we take in the herds now and train them before the war begins. Then we will have an advantage against the enemy." Carter explained smugly.

Leta beamed, "And a smart one too! Now Mr Carter on the night of December 25, 1926 were you physically attacked by Mrs Scamander?"

Hazel clenched her fist underneath the table.

Joe Carter nodded his head very solemnly, "I hate to admit it, but yes. All I was doing was informing her that according to clause 83 of the ministry law book, any methods of magical creature warcraft must belong to the ministry of magic. Nevertheless she didn't take that piece of information too kindly and started a brawl, at her own Christmas party too."

The Minister was listening attentively, Leta grinned.

Newt was restraining his mother from leaping on Carter and ripping him to a million pieces.