Chapter 20

It was a day like any other, of course, the worst ones always start out like that.

Tina was walking up the steps of MACUSA when the alarms began ringing, she hastily covered her ears in surprise.

What on earth was going on?

"ALL AURORS TO THE EMERGENCY PORTKEYS, WE HAVE AN ATTACK, I REPEAT ALL AURORS TO THE EMERGENCY PORTKEYS" The president's voice boomed, Tina's heart sank down to her feet.

Just a couple days ago Betty Graves escaped from her cell in the dead of night, the investigative team were still looking for her.

Could this attack have anything to do with her? Tina thought shaking running up the stairs.

She muddled in with the other aurors gathering in a tight circle around the president in the emergency portkey office. The president looked very grave and tired.

"We have just been informed that Grindelwald's fanatics are currently attacking a small alchemy school in Vernon-"

The rest of the president's words drowned out to Tina.

-Currently attacking a small alchemy school in Vernon.... No... no not Mary oh please god no NO!

"-You have your mission, now, go do your duties."

Everyone including Tina grabbed hold of their own portkey and in a matter of five seconds was whisked away to battle.

"Please let Mary be okay..." Tina silently prayed before landing harshly on the grass.

"Oww..." she groaned and stood up.

The small schoolhouse was in flames, wizards, witches, and students were battling with the fanatics. Most of them were lying motionless on the ground.

Tina gulped, and ran into the fight shooting spell after spell after spell. She ducked as one barely missed her ear.

It was a madhouse

it was a war.

Tina shot spell after spell after spell, she fought her way through the mass of bodies and fallen students.

A fanatic leaped on her from behind, about to plunge his knife into her chest. But Tina was stronger than him. She kicked her knee to his shin and the man crumpled from pain and the shock, she cast an immobilizing spell and ran off to shoot a bat bogey hex at the fanatic by her right.

But before Tina could jinx him, a loud booming cackle echoed around the area.

All the aurors covered their ears in pain, soon the sound died down but when they lifted their heads, all the fanatics were gone.

Breathing heavily, Tina stood from where she had fallen, exhausted. Now that the threat was gone there was one last important thing on her mind.

Mary.

While the others were repairing injuries and contacting the healers at MACUSA, Tina was checking every student and teacher for her friend.

It was not until one of them said they recalled seeing Mary in the schoolhouse during the attack did she barge into the building.

"Mary?! Mary are you in here? Its Tina!" she shouted frantically looking around.

A quiet groan came from inside the storage closet, she quickly pried the door opened to reveal her friend sprawled on the ground, blood pouring from her side.

"Mercy Lewis Mary! What the hell happened?!" Tina gasped as she bent down beside her.

"They.. they had a knife..." Mary whispered looking quite pale.