CHAPTER TWO

Aamirs pov

           We were all at a press conference in Jordan's capital Amman,  I looked at my Dad who was standing on the podium at the conference table ,all of us sat on the chairs placed on the podium looking at the crowd gathered below , Dad was giving a speech.

          My Dad wanted the whole family to be here, he had said it was something very important, he hadn't said a single word about it to us.

         The conference was held at our main palace. Only important meetings or marriages were held here, the Palace was guarded by heavy security.

         The very best journalists from all around the world sat in front of us , capturing photos , video recording, recorders in hand or paper and pens, I was'nt really that fond of fame, none of us were. really... we all liked - let's say loved our privacy which we were never really blessed with.

       Our life and It's replays were public news.We were owned by the public, I know people who would give anything to be royalty , little did they know that our lives are not always Glamour , ofcourse I thank Allah , we are truly blessed to be born in a family like this. A family with so much of love and support but that is not what I mean , I would really love a little privacy.

         I was snapped out of my thoughts as I heard my father say my  name ,what was that again?

         no....no.... He did'nt just do that ! I heard him repeat again -

       " I announce in front of Jordan that very soon I will be retiring and my son Prince Aamir, the heir to the throne of Jordan will soon be taking my place as the King.

          To be precise -in one year and I hope with all my heart that Jordan will give my son all the love that it has given me and my ancestors till now, I now request Prince Aamir to take over from here".

        I was glued to my place, I was'nt prepared for any of this and now my Dad's expecting me to give a speech.

        Dad has never ever made any decisions for us alone, we were always asked about our opinions, and now he's declaring in front of the whole world that one year is all I had?

        I looked at the crowd looking at me expectantly , I automatically walked up to the conference table .

        As a Prince we were trained to deal with all situations  and whipping up a speech in less than a minute was a must learn in our rule book.

         I smiled at the crowd as they snapped pictures of me.

   " As salamun alaikum, Good evening, my greetings to all gentlemen and woman present here."

      " I must say I'm overwhelmed by my fathers speech and I respect my father in every decision he makes for me and I will accept my responsibility when the time comes ."

        "Thank you very much , It's been wonderful having you this evening "

       I was about to go back when the journalists started shooting questions at me one by one ,I hated it !

      All I did want was to speak to my Father not answer questions, but then again...

         I put on my press facade and answered each and every question of theirs with patience . Finally I said my good bye and sat down next to my mother. She looked beautiful in a turquoise maxi and hijab,  I looked at her questioningly, she shrugged and look straight ahead at the crowd.

       We could'nt speak to each other since you never knew when someone put a headline on the newspapers saying

       "Son disagrees with Queen mother over trivial matters!"

Every question had to wait till we went back to our resident palace "Sadaf".

       It would be the first time I'd be going to have an argument with my Father but this was essential , I prayed to Allah for guidance just as mother had taught me since I was young .

      "Always turn to Allah during all times white and grey whether they are tiny or huge and believe that he will always guide you and be by your side" 

         I always found refuge in these wise words , my God never let's me down.

            I found Father in the library with mom , I greeted him with Salam and he replied back smiling at me.

      " I'm sorry son, I know I did'nt ask your opinion but It's time I retire , I'm tired son , and It's time I took your mother on a world tour. She's never been showing it for my sake but I know how much she wants to spend some time alone with me."

     My mother gazed into my father's eyes . Her eyes held a million emotions. They were holding hands , and I could clearly see the love and respect they held for each other ,Ma sha Allah.

       Those two were like always smitten by each other , In sha Allah some day I hope I find a love like theirs .

              "Dad  I respect your wishes , and I will never step back from my duties but I need to... "

       I took in a deep breath as I continued  "fulfill my dreams first or I will always be unhappy "

       A look of anxiousness crossed his eyes , I hated to see my Dad upset

      "All I ask is for a year Dad , A year to chase  my dreams and then I promise you , I will do as you say , just one year Dad  , just one year is all I ask for."

        I couldn't make eye contact with my father. I respected him too much and right now I didn't want to see the conflict in his eyes. I didn't want to back down from what I had already said.

    He looked into my eyes ,his eyes are always seeing things we don't even reveal, he's like a mind reader, most wise and always right !

    " I can never deny you  Aamir of what you want because I was like you when I was young , running away from my duties, you can go son, follow your dreams , but I know you will return just the way I did."

        His eyes scrutinized me like they aleways did. Knowing more than what was revealed.

     I went towards my father and kneeled down next to him holding his hands in mine.

   " I love you Father , I always will."

        He kissed me on my forehead, I looked at my Mom , she kissed me on my forehead too .

  "I love u Mom ...."

"I love u habibti."

       On my way back to my chamber I  looked at the portraits in front of me ( It's not allowed in islam to make portraits )  my birth mother and father looked back at me , I silently  prayed to Allah to grant them jannah and headed to my chamber .

              *********************