twenty three

twenty three

The week went by in a blur, which included me crying excessively. My friends didn't blame me, though. They said they'd be there for me whenever I needed them, which was very refreshing.

Besides my continuous breakdowns throughout the school hours, I had been doing a lot of planning with my date with Jade. I bought her a Valentine's Day Rose that they sold during lunchtime and gave out during homeroom on Valentine's day. Luckily, today was that day.

I woke up at 7:00 AM that morning, probably from being so excited. I did my daily routine, making sure to wear a dress for today, but I slipped on my favorite Fall Out Boy hoodie over it. I walked down the hallway, to the kitchen, to see my mom pouring herself coffee in her "Best Momma Ever" mug.

"Good morning, ma'." I greet, dropping my backpack on the counter.

"Hey, sweetheart!" She smiled brightly at me, examining my outfit, "Nice outfit. Why are you dressed like that?"

I look down at my black dress and black hightop Nikes, and then back at my mom, "I'm planning on asking Jade out. You'd know that if you weren't so busy lately." I sigh, knowing that it was true. My mom wasn't ever home ever since I left therapy. It's like she didn't have time for  Eva and  I anymore.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry about that!" She apologizes and puts her mug down, "I'm throwing a party for Eva going away soon, so I'm trying to get all the supplies and such for her special day."

"Oh, I understand. I just want to know when you'll have time for us both." I pout.

"How does April sound?" She asks, and it tips me off even more.

"It's February." I frown, grabbing my backpack and making my way to my car.

I angrily get into my car, and I text my group chat.

Best  Friends 😛💞
Janelle: is anyone awake?
Lyssa💕: hi
Janelle: are you down for some Tim Hortons?
Lyssa💕: sureee
Janelle: cool, I'll pick you up.

I lock my phone, and pull out of the driveway, turning left to get to Alyssa's house.

When I get there, I already see Alyssa at her front door on her phone, waiting for me. I honk my horn to grasp her attention, and she looks up, hurrying into the car.

"Aye, Jelly Bean." She says as she gets into the car.

"Can we retire the nickname, please?" I plead, pulling out of her driveway.

"Not until you allow me to play Oldies whenever we're in the same car." She smiles, wiggling her eyebrows.

I laugh, "Fine. What song?" I ask, looking down at the radio and then at the road.

"You'll see." Alyssa smiles, and plugs her phone into the AUX cord. She types a few letters into the YouTube search bar and the instrumental for "Two Faced Have I" plays.

"Why does this sound like some shit I'd hear on Grease? Or better yet, in the 70's at a retro diner with this booming on a jukebox?" I tease, making Alyssa chuckle.

"Ugh, that sounds so amazing right now!" She groans, throwing her head back, "I wish I lived in the 50's through 70's." She says smiling before adding, "But there wasn't any technology. So that sucks."