twenty seven

twenty seven

a/n: i don't know why i made the last chapter end off on an odd number, but eh :'))

It was a week later after the graduation party that I had learned Eva was leaving for college.

"Hey kids!" My mom called into my room, which was occupied by Grace, Nick, Alyssa, Jade, Kate and I. "Eva's about to leave. Are y'all ready to say goodbye?"

Everyone looked at me, waiting for my approval. I sigh, nodding slowly as we all make our way to the drive way.

"There you guys are!" Eva exclaimed, putting one of her boxes in the trunk. "I thought y'all wouldn't come out!"

"I didn't wanna see you leave." I admit, almost on the verge of tears.

"Aww," Eva cooed, pulling me into a hug.

"Why couldn't you have left for the first semester? Why now?" I cry into her shoulder.

"I wanted to get familiar with the school, Janelle," She explained, "I wanted to get a head start and do summer classes, too."

"Promise to come on every holiday you can?" I ask, looking up at her.

"I promise." She smiles at me, kissing my forehead, and then stepping toward my friends and girlfriend.

"Now, you guys," She started, pointing at Grace, Nick, Alyssa, and Kate. "You better not let her do anymore dumb shit to hurt herself again. Don't let her out of your site!

"And you," She pointed at Jade, "You better take care of my little sister. I better not get any texts, emails, DMs, calls, WhatsApp messages, OR Kik messengers about you hurting her or I'll beat your ass to The Bronx!

"Have we got ourselves a deal?" She ended off politely, smiling at them.

They all nodded quickly, and Eva laughed wholeheartedly. "I was kidding! I love you guys." She pulled them all into a big hug, making my heart warm. It was nice to know that your older sibling was fond of your friends.

"Evangeline!" Her best friend, Sebastian, called out to her from the SUV they were taking to their college. I found it very cute how they were going to the same school. "That's the last of the boxes. Everything's ready to go." He said, pulling down the trunk.

Eva quickly looked at Sebastian, then back at all of us. "Alright, well, I guess this is goodbye for now."

"Can we not say goodbye?" I suggest, and Eva tilts her head in confusion at me. "How about see you later? Less painful."

"Okay, Janelle." She smiled half heartedly, nodding slowly. "See you later."

"See you later, Eva." I whisper, giving her one last hug.

"See you later, Ma'." She pulled our mom into a hug after pulling away from ours.

"Oh, see you later, baby." My mom mumbled into her shoulder, "I love you."

"I love you all more." Eva smiled, pulling away from their hug a few seconds later, and walking to the car.

"You and Sebastian have a good ride, okay?" My mom calls to her, as Eva makes her way to the SUV.

"Oh, we'll try!" Eva calls back, getting into the passengers seat. "See you later, Janelle and her friends!"

"See you later!" We all chimed at the same time, as the car started and roared down the street.

And just like that, Eva was gone.

"Well," My mom said after the car drove away, "Are your friends staying all day? I'll make dinner for seven."

"Sounds like a deal to me." I nod, licking my lips, as every one walked inside the house besides me.

I decided to stay outside a few extra minutes, looking at the half empty driveway, since Eva's car was driven to the school beforehand. I let the sun soak in my skin, closing my eyes for a moment.

"Janelle?" I hear Jade's voice getting closer, "You coming in?"

I take a moment to respond, but I finally nod. "Yeah, I am."

"I know it's going to be hard." Jade said, slipping  her arm around my waist. "Without Eva, and all. But it'll be okay. I'll be here for you, so will every one else."

"You promise?" I ask her, tilting my head to look at her.

"I promise." She assures me, gently kissing my lips.

"Thanks." I smile, "I needed that."

"No problem." She smiled back, kissing my forehead. "We should go inside now."

"Yeah," I take one more deep breathe, before following her inside.

As we walked, I thought of the future. How our junior year would turn out, how life will be without Eva around all the time to witness it with us. I was treating the situation like she was dying, but I couldn't help it. It was going to be a lot duller without her stupidity and happiness being in the house all the time.

But, I had my best friends. I had my girlfriend. I had a loving mother. I had the most supportive group of people around me.

And I was happy with that.

And, with myself.

••••••••••

a/n: aaand that's the end. :)

I HIGHLY SUGGEST READING THE EPILOGUE! There's no real ending without an epilogue. So read that, and the story's gonna REALLY be complete.

I'm going to put my thank you notes, the word counts and such in the epilogue.

But yeahhh, the story's not over yet.

I MIGHT be making a spin off!

I'm for sure going to make a NEW book, but I'm not sure if it's going to be about a descendant of a character of this story, or not. Maybe! Comment if you wanna see that!

I'm also going to be working on ps, i hate you, which is a heterosexual book about letters.

Thank you!!!

Word Count: 957