California

"Why are you still hanging out with that boy?!" My mom screamed.

I'm so mad. Why is my mom so annoying?! Ugh, she won't leave me alone will she?!

I walked past her and plopped myself on my old-ass couch.

"Excuse me!" My mother yelled. "Linnie!" 

"What?!" I yelled back. She shot me a dangerous look. I knew I screwed up right there.

Fuck... I'm in trouble.

"What I told you? Watch your volume!" She nagged.

"Okay, okay!" I said in defense.

She was yelling at me because of my boyfriend, Noah, who she despises with a passion. She had been saying that she regrets moving to California because of how bad I got influenced... But it's not my fault she chose the worst city in the world. I was actually in love with Seoul before we moved.

Actually, the only thing I remembered was that I had a huge crush on my best friend. He was the best. He was cute, funny, smart.

My mom snapped at me. "Hello?!" She said.

"Yes, mom?!" I replied.

She crossed her arms, "Why do you date him?" I held in my laughter about her accent.

"He's really funny and really handsome," I said. He was actually really bad in school. He was known as the delinquent.

"He is not! He has bad grade and have bad behavior!" She shook her head.

"Okay? And?" I said.

"And you stop dating him now!"

I groaned, "Mom, I think I know how to take care of myself. He's really not that bad when you get to know him."

"We did not move here so you can date a bad boy," she yelled. "You don't even remember to speak Korean, do you?!"

I threw my hands up, "It's not my fault that we moved here. Someone decided to just leave all of our friends behind."

Back in Korea, we only had my mom's closest friends. She didn't have any siblings or cousins, and her parents died years ago.

"Aish!" She said. "Okay. We move back to Korea."

Ummm, what? Did I hear that right?

My eyes lit up. "Really?" I asked. She nodded. 

"Yes, yes. Our friends are there and want us to come back," she said, to which I nod.

I get to leave this dumpy place. It's not the entire California, it's just where I live, my neighborhood. It was notorious for being the most crime-ridden city in the state. My mom chose this place because the housing was cheap and it was easier to have a business. It turned into this because of the riots back in '92. Twelves years later, it remained the same.

"We leave next week." My mother said.

Is she pulling my leg? Is she bluffing? What is this impulse decision? Was she thinking about this before?

Ugh, no questions, Linnie. You have the opportunity, just take it!

"Okay!" I answered gleefully. I've never been so excited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I told Noah about me going back to Korea. He didn't look sad, or even reacted. "Okay," was all he said. I knew he cared. He just didn't want to admit it.

I didn't have much friends, just some fake girls that want to get popular. I hated everyone in school. Everyone seemed so afraid of me, since Noah's personality rubbed off on me.

I came here as the Korean-speaking FOB that got bullied 24/7, but now I guess I turned into the scary outcast girl. I meannn, I don't see how I'm that intimidating.

I sat down at an empty table at lunch. Noah had invited me to sit with him, like always, but I denied today.

I didn't wanna face him and his friends right before I leave to a whole ass other country. It would be too hard to keep a straight face.

I stayed on my phone the whole time, munching on some chips. I read all my useless news feed.

Politics... Rappers... TV show beef...

Somehow, I fell asleep and Noah came to wake me up.

"Wake up, babe." He said. He had that low voice that always put me in a trance. I opened my eyes.

"Hi, baby," I said and rubbed my eyes.

"Hey, beautiful." Noah's best friend, Jake, said.

He would always hit on me in front of Noah. What a great friend...

 I smiled. "Hi.." I mumbled.

"Let's go somewhere and make out or something." Noah said.

It was so annoying when Noah wanted to do something. He always had to get what he wanted.

"I'm tired." I said. Noah frowned. 

"What the hell are you doing here then?" He said. "Go home. I'll make the nurse give you a note."

He had that kind of power. Somehow, someway, he knew how to manipulate the teachers. It was a great perk to be acquainted with.

 I smiled and nodded.

"Thanks, babe," I said and got up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mom wasn't home. She worked at a small business she founded. It was something with really cute and squishy things. They weren't my type, although thought they were pretty cute.

She would always come home late because her shop was at the mall all the way across the city. And you know LA traffic...

I threw my black leather jacket with spikes on the ground.

It was a gift from Noah. He was the one who truly introduced me to this 'rebellious' persona. And to be honest, it gave me a lot of confidence. It was hard being a 'nice' and 'friendly' girl when you're not that good-looking, you know. I always got bullied and taken advantage of. Now, nobody wants to fuck with me, but it was way better than getting picked on.

 I had a really bad headache. I laid on my bed and fell instantly asleep.

I remembered having a fascinating, vivid dream. It felt like it happened before. It had lots of people that I knew in it, but there was one face that I couldn't identify. It was so weird, but so intriguing.