CHAPTER ONE - THE SATUS (Part 4)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

CHAPTER ONE – THE SATUS

(Part 4)

As we all read on, regular gasps and shrieks could be heard from our little group. It was revealed that before the beginning of time, ‘The Aliis World’ was in turmoil; all mythical beings were fighting for land and power, killing others in order to be superior and rule over all.

Eventually, the Elders of the Aliis World created a council, which comprised of the eldest mythical being from each circle. This panel created rules and laws for the Aliis World, to be noted in a book, for each mythical being to live by.

The main book, ‘The Ancient Codex’, would remain in the Chamber of Lux, for it contained the blood from each member of the council and removal from the chamber would kill them, leading to anarchy in the Aliis World. Each circle was to be given copies of ‘The Ancient Codex’; however the book had been adapted to fit each circle’s individual way of life - the witches’ book was different to the fairies’, vampires’ and Lycan’s’ versions.

As I turned to the next page, I realised Raven was reading the same section as she shrieked, ‘Married at 13?! That’s next year for you, Faith!’ We all looked at each other, the colour draining from our faces, as we read on:

All mythical beings will have arranged marriages from birth and will enter the preliminary stage of marriage at 13. There are three stages of marriage within all circles:

Stage 1 - Entering the Nexus: All are to be “bound” at 13 and will start going to a mystical school in The Aliis World, once a week, to learn about the history and how to use specific powers.

Stage 2 - In the Nupta: At 16 years old, the married couple will begin their magical obligations to their circles (e.g., new vampires will learn how far to drain blood without killing; the new witch or wizard will learn more dangerous spells and how to fly; new Lycan’s will learn to hunt and how to transform back into human form at will; new fairies will learn how to fly, how to use magic for good and how to protect their ‘secret garden’).

Stage 3 - The Vitam: The new life for the married couples. This occurs a year after stage 2. All circles are to join their family businesses (e.g., new vampires will join the family business; new witches will go to their ‘mentors’ in The Aliis World to learn and practice the craft for three years; new Lycan’s will go on a spiritual quest for a year to find their inner animal new fairies will go to the ‘secret garden’ in The Aliis World for a year’s work experience).

Managing to regain our composure, we turned the page and held our breath. ‘Section two – The Borders,’ Raven read aloud as we continued to read the rules of this mysterious book.

It turns out that ‘The Borders’ refers to another rule the council put in place centuries ago, to maintain the peace and harmony of the land. However, this law didn’t seem to be upheld by all, as mysterious killings still occurred throughout the years (someone trying to gather enough power to overthrow the Elders, we all guessed). Many of those accused of the killings were trialled in front of the council, where their fate was decided. Usually, this meant either death or disownment. The ‘Elders’ thought it would be better for all mythical beings if they divided the land, so that each circle had their own section of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

We had always lived in Wales and it now became apparent why my parents were so reluctant to move, even when we were experiencing financial difficulties.

The map looked like this: (Please note that the map can be seen in the book on Amazon or Smashwords)

‘I wonder what would happen if you went over the border?’ one of the girls asked, leaving us to ponder. ‘Probably get killed,’ Raven guessed as we all headed back to the campsite, feeling slightly uneasy yet fascinated, with a keen hunger to learn more.

On our return to the campsite, we found mum and dad preparing the table for the evening meal with the others, so we wandered over to them to offer our help. ‘Mum, will I ever be able to go to a normal school?’ I asked - the thought of never being able to socialise with anyone who wasn’t a witch or wizard was no longer so appealing.

My mother looked at me and smiled sweetly as she ushered me away from the table. ‘Of course you will, darling. You are going to high school in September, but you need to remember to stick with your own circle. I know you saw the map, but recently the borders have become more blurred. Not only will you be going to school with Namuh’s but you will also be going with other mythical beings - that’s why you need to stay with your own kind at all times. Mixing with the wrong type would put you in grave danger, and what’s more, your powers are not developed enough to defend yourself properly yet,’ she said as she stroked my hair and tried to calm my troubled mind.

More questions sprung to my mind and we sat down away from the others as she tried to reassure me that everything would be fine. ‘Yes you will be married when you reach 13, but it doesn’t mean what you think, Faith - it is just a bonding ceremony. Damien will continue with his duties just like you will, until you both reach the second stage. Don’t worry so much…’

‘DAMIEN?’ I screamed, disgusted at being told of my chosen husband.

My discontent bought attention to our conversation and after my mother told everyone I was fine, she looked at me in pity and embarrassment before concluding, ‘We’ll talk about this later, but just put the book away and try to enjoy the evening.’ With that she went to join the others to help prepare the hearty buffet.

Now, I suppose Damien wasn’t so bad but he was annoying and the thought of having any attachment to him made me feel sick. Plus - I’m only 13! Isn’t that illegal here?

Raven came over after hearing mum gossiping with the others, to tell me who her proposed husband is. ‘Cadarn isn’t so bad, I guess, but I can say that ‘cos I’ve got another year before I get there. Do you even like Damien?’ she asked, biting into her apple with gusto.

‘No, I don’t,’ I replied sharply. I could see my childhood slipping away from me by the second. ‘I’m not going to think about it anymore. I’m just happy I can go to high school. The thought of just being around these people forever is driving me insane,’ I continued. Rather annoyingly though, just as I got up to run to my hut, I saw Damien descending on us with a beaming grin on his face. Raven followed and we locked the door, promising that even when we got married, we would always be there for each other.

Did you enjoy this part of the chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***