CHAPTER SEVEN - SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST (Part 3)

CHAPTER SEVEN – SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST

(Part 3)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

The sofa was now halfway into the cavity and the room no longer had any structure. The building was now on quite an angle - all that remained were two walls and half of the floor.

As I used one hand to hold the babies and the other to try to pull myself up on the sofa, I could see the residents below shouting. Fire engines parked up and police barked orders at us. The commotion soon became white noise as the building sank further and further into the ground, slowing down Rafe’s approach.

The babies were silent as their little eyes took everything in. I prayed for a miracle but nothing came.

All of a sudden, both of them pushed their heads onto my chin and linked their small arms together forming a band. ‘What are they doing?’ I thought. The sofa started shaking and bolts of boiling hot water flew from my chest.

Rafe was scolded as he was blasted to the far wall, before crashing to the floor in a heap. The water weakened the structure further; Rafe slipped and skated, trying to get a grasp of something to keep him away from the now flooded void he was heading towards, but it was too late.

The heat was palpable, as he went sliding into the boiling pit. The steam rose from the searing hole. He thrashed and shrieked as the water blistered and burnt his skin. And, with one final scramble for freedom, his scalded body gave in and sunk into the boiling abyss.

I cried for Luther and prayed he was still alive. The thought of losing him too made me cry hysterically.

Meanwhile, the sofa couldn’t hold its grip on the slippery surface any longer. It slowly descended into the cavity.

I looked at my babies who smiled back at me and closed their eyes again. The sofa rose from the hole and settled on the edge of it.

‘You’ve done it!’ I cried.

I held them tight, kissing them all over their heads. Unfortunately, my excitement pulled them apart and they were no longer linked. The pair looked up at me in horror as I caught a glimpse of the ceiling. Their panicked little faces were the last images that haunted my mind. I was now engulfed in darkness.

I couldn’t feel them any more.

I couldn’t feel anything any more.

I was alone, in this dark abyss. I had no pain, nobody to help me and no idea as to when, or if, I would see my babies again.        

******

Thank you for reading the first book in the

Split Blood Series

If you enjoyed this book, please support the author by spreading the words about this story please.

For more information on this book and more work from Louise Herman, please go to: www.split-blood.com