CHAPTER FOUR - THE SACRIFICE (Part 7)

CHAPTER FOUR – THE SACRIFICE

(Part 7)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

Shards of the wood flew towards the fire as we protected ourselves by hiding under the blankets. ‘What is it?’ Asabi whispered as I refused to confront the intruder.

I peeked above the blanket. ‘There’s nothing there!’ My astounded reply gave everyone the green light to stop hiding. But it seemed that the silence gave us false hope; within minutes the camp was invaded by a fast-moving beast.

Men flew through the air, women were sliced in half and children were thrown into the distance as we tried to catch this mysterious assassin. ‘THERE, QUICK!’ one follower shrieked before he too was knocked backwards and ripped apart like a piece of meat. The massacre lasted an hour before we were finally confronted by the deadly killer.

Morphing back into human form as he jumped back down from the tree, he wiped the blood (of all his victims) from his face to reveal his broken nose.

It was Rafe.

Grabbing a white sheet, he wrapped it round his waist. ‘Can I give you an I.O.U. for the sheet?’ he mocked as he used another to wipe away the rest of the blood.

Nobody moved.

Asabi held Mulogo back as Rafe’s attention focused on Idony. ‘Hmmm, the great seer, did you see me coming?’ he asked. She looked past him, numbed by her recent experiences.

Confused at the lack of response, he turned back to Rohan, who was stood by my side. ‘Okay, so we’ve been here before and you left me with a broken nose. Do you know how much you owe me now? You’ve ruined my modelling career, so it’s only fair you pay,’ he said as he dived forward.

I jumped to Rohan’s protection and put up a forcefield, as we huddled together. ‘Ahhh I forgot about the little witch. You’ve got quite a little bite, don’t you?’ he laughed as he picked himself up from the floor and circled the forcefield, looking for a weak point.

Unsure of how long I could maintain our defence, I tried to distract him. ‘What do you want from us?’ He laughed again mockingly as he moved in for a closer inspection of the shimmering sphere.

‘I want you all dead. I thought I made that clear in the ‘great’ seer’s village?’ he spat as he launched at the forcefield, only to be thrown back.

The baby began to kick and move with more vigour. ‘Are you okay?’ Asabi asked as I dropped to my knees. ‘She can’t hold the forcefield any longer…’ she whispered as Rohan and Mulogo tried to plan our exit. My pain was unbearable.

The forcefield began to weaken and we were left at the mercy of Rafe. ‘Maybe I don’t need to kill you. Looks like your little abomination will do it for me. Oh well - that leaves me with plenty of time to take care of its daddy, doesn’t it?’ he sneered as he shot at Rohan, missing him narrowly as he jumped out of the way.