CHAPTER FIVE - FINDERS, KEEPERS (Part 5)

CHAPTER FIVE – FINDERS, KEEPERS

(Part 5)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

Getting into the Victorian style, hot bubble bath was like slipping into Utopia, until I was shocked by a knock at the door. ‘I don’t mean to disturb you but there’s some shampoo and conditioner my sister left in the cupboard. I’ll try to find some of the clothes she forgot too,’ Dr Juvo shouted. I got out to fetch the cosmetics and proceeded to wash the residue of the last few days of pain from my body.

Lying back in the tub, I rubbed my stomach. ‘It’s just me and you now. We have to be at one with each other and never let each other go,’ I whispered to the bump, which swirled around calmly as though acknowledging the deal I proposed. Closing my eyes and taking in the aromas of camomile, comfrey leaf, eucalyptus leaf and valerian root, I wondered why a western medical practitioner would use these herbs in a bath - they were all herbs that Wiccas would use to relax, heal, cleanse energies and protect in the astral realms.

Many of these herbs are used in witches’ rituals and potions too, so I was surprised to see him using them. As I inspected the floating aromatic plant pieces further, I began to feel anxious. I grabbed a towel and quickly jumped out of the bath. I surreptitiously opened the door handle, crept along the hallway and into the bedroom, where I locked myself in.

Finding some clean clothes (he’d put out for me) on the bed, I got dressed and looked out of the window, contemplating a swift escape. However, if the fall didn’t kill me, I would definitely end up in a bad state, so I tried to think of another way out.

I trawled through every cupboard and when I decided I wouldn’t be escaping from the bedroom, I started to look through his belongings to see what type of individual I was dealing with.

In his wardrobe and drawers, I found nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary. Instead, all I saw was dull-coloured clothing and bank statements with the months highlighted and neatly organised in his desk drawer.

I sat on the bed and felt defeated.

I looked around the room and was about to give and use all the power I could muster to protect myself and the baby, when I headed to the door to see what fate had in store for me in the lounge. I slowly slid the lock to the side.

As I turned the handle, something echoed in my head - ‘Under the bed’ - I turned and ran. I scrambled around on the floor and pushed the sheets to one side. I placed the bedside lamp on the floor to help assist my vision as I felt around in the dark space. My hand hit something solid.

Pulling it out from under the bed, I revealed a rusty, emerald green trunk. With colourful patterns of flowers and asymmetrical shapes, the large box had an Eastern European feel.

I flipped open the golden lock and removed the green, velvet sheet from on top. Rummaging around the box, I pulled out item after item and placed them on the floor.

A crystal ball, tarot cards, a netted table cloth, a large book (which was written in another language) and candles of assorted colours were soon sprawled out in front of me.