CHAPTER FIVE - FINDERS, KEEPERS (Part 3)

CHAPTER FIVE – FINDERS, KEEPERS

(Part 3)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

His name was Dr Juvo. He was an intern, in his final year of training.

His blonde hair shone brightly as the fluorescent lights beamed down onto him like an angel who had just arrived on earth. ‘Hello, my name is Dr Juvo. I’m just going to take you into one of these rooms to get a better look at you,’ he said calmly as he put me into a wheelchair and took me away from the panic-stricken couple, who decided to wait and see what the results were.

The room was minimal and bleak but, as empty and cold as the interior was, I was happy to have a safe, dry place to get cleaned up before I set out on my journey again.

I took off my soaking wet clothes and got into the gown he’d provided before leaving the room to speak to a nurse. ‘Please, don’t come yet. I’m not ready…’ I whispered to my stomach as the movement slowed down, leaving the open wounds visible.

I got onto the bed and lay down. Thoughts of my family, Rohan and Lily flashed before my eyes as I began to cry at the thought of never seeing any of them again. ‘Don’t worry, it’ll be fine,’ Dr Juvo said as he came over and put his hand on my shoulder. In my distress, I hadn’t even realised he’d made his way back into the room.

He started to set up the equipment and pulled the tray and the ultrasound machine over to the bed. It must have been quite a shock for him; he jumped back in shock as though he could no longer rely on his eyes for help, as he saw the wounds slowly heal themselves. He looked at me for answers. None came. He cautiously sidled closer and attempted to smear gel over my stomach as he put the ultrasound camera onto my stomach to view what form of beast was lurking inside.

I shuddered at the coldness of the gel. He chuckled fearfully and started to move the instrument around, looking for the source of my pain.

Possibly with the chill of the gel, my wounds began to open and close slowly as his jaw dropped in amazement. ‘What’s going on?’ he shrieked as he observed the phenomenon.

I sat up and looked at him, again without answering. He regained composure and carefully began to look for the baby again.

After minutes of looking, he found something. ‘There’s something there, but it’s weaving in and out of focus. I’ve never seen anything like it…’ he said ominously as he increased the zoom on the machine.

My stomach thrashed back and forth, as if it were consciously avoiding being revealed. ‘It looks like it’s a gas the way it’s moving. It doesn’t look solid,’ he joked as I started to fidget nervously, unsure of what he might find. ‘Okay, I think I’ve found something now. Hold still for a minute.’ I held my breath.

He held the device at the top of my stomach and moved his face closer to the machine for a better look. He squinted his eyes and zoomed in to the limit of the machine’s capability.