CHAPTER FIVE - FINDERS, KEEPERS (Part 6)

CHAPTER FIVE – FINDERS, KEEPERS

(Part 6)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

The boiler rumbled into action above my head as the warmth from the confined space provided me with a false sense of comfort as I curled up on the floor and felt my eyelids give way to the security of sleep.

My conscience ran wild and allowed me to be with the people I missed most.

As I sat down to dinner with my parents and Raven, smelling the warm bread coming to the table (straight from the oven), I was jolted back to reality as I fell out of the cupboard and rolled into the hallway. Crawling onto my hands and knees, I looked up to see some black high heels looking back at me. ‘Here she is,’ the imposing-looking woman announced. I was helped up by Dr Juvo.

I tried to scramble to freedom but I knew all exits were locked, so I waited. ‘Do your worst!’ I barked as the woman stepped back, caught off guard by my determined attitude.

‘I was trying to tell you before; I am not here to hurt you. If you come into the lounge, we can explain,’ the doctor said as he pointed me in the right direction.

‘Who’s this then?’ I asked looking at the woman from head to toe.

‘This is my sister, Alin. Please come in and I’ll explain everything.’

I reluctantly agreed and walked into the room, completely missing the fact that only his clothes showed the evidence of his fiery encounter earlier; his face was clear of fire damage. ‘I’ll clean up whilst you two talk,’ Alin said.

I took a seat next to Dr Juvo on the sofa and he began to explain, ‘I’m not here to hurt you but I knew you were coming at some point. The trunk you found under my bed was a gift from my late bunică - which means grandmother in Romanian. She was a fortune-teller. She used to read palms, give people tarot readings and work with crystal balls. I never believed in any of that stuff but when she died, I accepted her gift and when a few things started happening after her death, I started to open my eyes a little wider to the things she used to tell me. When I received the trunk, I put it to one side and didn’t look at it until Alin was going through it and found a letter my bunică had left for me.’

He started to get choked up and, all of a sudden, a wave of emotion ran through me and I held his hand out of compassion. ‘You can take a break if you need to,’ I whispered but he shook himself back together again and continued.

‘The letter talked about her past, her craft, my mother and you.’ With the last statement, I slowly withdrew my hand, unsure of what was to come next. ‘She said that one day I would meet someone who would need my help and make me see beyond the world I am used to. She also said you would be an explosive person, who would arrive through the tears of God and whose needs would test my beliefs. I read it and disregarded it, until you arrived at the hospital soaking wet. I knew it was you when you blew up the machine; there were no further questions in my mind. My only worry was wondering how I could get you out of the hospital safely.’

Alin came in and sat next to me on the sofa. She put her hand on my stomach and closed her eyes as though trying to see into it.

I was surprised to note that there was no retaliation from the bump. ‘Bunică was right. She’s not of our world,’ she determined as I jumped up at her revelation.

‘What are you?’ I asked.

‘I’m also a doctor but I was more welcoming of my bunică’s stories and craft than my brother was. She taught me a lot before she passed on. One has to feel beyond what one can see, she taught me.’ With that, Alin beckoned me to sit back down.

‘You can see inside me?’ I asked with excitement.

‘Usually, yes, but with you it’s somehow foggy. I cannot make out a full image - only swirls and masses of dark and light blending together then separating. I can see you are nearly ready to give birth and it will happen in the next seven days. I can also feel the pain of your loss,’ she announced. I suddenly became interested in what else she could feel.

‘In that case, can you feel or communicate with the people I have lost?’ I begged, to which she shook her head, leaving me feeling further deflated. Distracted by questions I wanted to ask Alin, I forgot Dr Juvo was at the other side of me. ‘I’m sorry, by the way, for trying to attack you Dr Juvo, but I’ve always got to be on my guard. I have only myself to protect me and the baby,’ I apologised as he held his hand up to stop me.

‘My name is Luther - and you do not have to explain. Just as long as you know we are here to help you, not to harm you.’

Overcome by their generosity and welcome, I started to weep. ‘You don’t understand how much harm you could do to yourselves, simply by helping me. People have been killed trying to protect me. I don’t know if I’m worth it any more…’ I said tearfully as Alin held me.

‘You can tell me all about it tomorrow, but for tonight, you need to get some rest and we’ll face everything else in the morning. Don’t worry about it,’ he said as he told Alin to take me to the bedroom, whilst he continued to clean up the room.

The feeling of a fresh, clean, soft bed was all I needed to send me into a numb daze. ‘I won’t keep you awake any longer. I’ll be in the lounge and Luther will be next door if you need anything. Sleep tight,’ she said. She pulled the door closed behind her and left me to my much needed sleep.

I could hear them rustling around in the distance and before sleep finally won the battle, I conjured a protection spell over the room to ensure I wasn’t caught off guard by Luther and Alin - just in case they were working for the Elders, or wanted to harm me for their own reasons.

Tossing and turning in this new comfort, I fell into a deep sleep within minutes. I dreamt of faraway lands, my family, being with Rohan again, and my childhood.

It was perfect. The pain, which once riddled my body, had dispersed and as I was lying up in the clouds with Rohan, I felt a sensation of tranquillity.

I could have stayed in these dreamy worlds forever, but for the fact that I knew they weren’t real.

As he touched my face for the last time, a ray of sunlight radiated from his hand, sending a warm feeling through my body, right to my heart as I woke up, squinting at the line of sunshine creeping into the room through a crack in the curtain. As the warm sensation reached my tingling toes, a fraction of the pain evaporated from my heart and I knew Rohan was always going to be nearby, ready to look after us.

Did you enjoy this chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY TUESDAY AND FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***