CHAPTER THREE - CONGRATUALTIONS IT'S a... (Part 5)

CHAPTER THREE – CONGRATUALTIONS IT’S a…

(Part 5)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

Spending three days at the camp left us with cabin fever, so to aid the boredom, Rohan helped with the manual labour tasks - fixing huts, making weapons and killing the animals for food. Saving the blood for our own meals, my body did eventually get used to it.

Although I couldn’t help as actively as Rohan, my role consisted of trying to manage my ever-advancing pregnancy, helping to clean the camp, cook the meals and lending my magic to some rituals to create healing and protection potions. ‘Your powers are different to other witches I have encountered,’ Idony confessed as I helped with the latest protection spell.

‘Maybe it’s the baby…’ I speculated as I helped to put strong-smelling herbs and plants into the cauldron.

Lost in thought, she shook her head and regarded me with confusion. ‘No, I don’t think it is - I think it is just you. You seem to have something tying you down, but it is tearing.’ She grabbed my hands and looked straight into my eyes. I became nervous as she started to go into a trance; within seconds her eyes rolled back into her head and turned white as grey spirals began to swirl around her body.

I tried to free my hands, but she held on tighter. Rohan came running to my side. ‘What are you doing?!’ he yelled, but she was no longer with us.

‘Don’t touch her! Let Idony finish!’ one of the followers shouted as he pulled Rohan back and ordered him just to witness this strange vision.

Idony closed her eyes and began to rock back and forth as she muttered in her native tongue. I looked at Rohan in bemusement; he shrugged his shoulders unaware what to say.

Suddenly she stopped and her eyes shot open. ‘YOU’RE THE ONE!’ she shrieked as her pitch pierced through our bodies.

‘What is she on about?’ Rohan shouted at the follower who pulled him back again.

‘I - I don’t know…’ he stuttered as his fear began to show.

I stroked her hand in the hope she would return to normal, but this didn’t work. ‘They tried to bind you, but it didn’t work. You’re going to kill us all! They should have told you before, then this wouldn’t have happened…’ she prophesied as I grabbed my hand away; she fell to the ground.

I ran to Rohan, who held me tight, as we looked on at her followers surrounding her, trying to bring her back to consciousness. After a few minutes of her husband, Bomani, performing a ritual - of dancing, shaking a strange bone constructed rattle over her and splashing her with a potent smelling green liquid - she eventually returned to the land of the living.

I edged cautiously over and knelt by her side. ‘Are you okay?’ I asked, concerned for her health.

She nodded and grabbed my hand. ‘I am. But your parents should have told you,’ she slurred as her husband picked her up and took her back to their hut to rest.