CHAPTER SIX - THE BLOOD DOCTOR (Part 2)

CHAPTER SIX – THE BLOOD DOCTOR

(Part 2)

Luther arrived back home later than normal, looking stressed and tired. After giving me a quick examination, he settled down to the dinner I had prepared and shared with me the events of his day.

Sensing a foreign smell coming from the oven, he stopped midway through conversation and headed to the object of his concern. ‘You made rabbit stew?!’ he asked as he looked at me in shock, knowing any preparation of meat would simply be impossible; I would have tried to suck every drop of blood from it.

I laughed and shook my head. ‘Ms Vaduva came round and dropped it off for us. Does she have a key? She sort of appeared from nowhere,’ I explained as I moved away from the potent pot of meat.

Luther snapped out of his delight and put his hand to his head. ‘I forgot - I gave her one a few years back but she’s never used it. What did you tell her?’ he gasped.

I sat him down and reassured him that there was nothing to worry about. His face was flushing redder than a raspberry and his breathing was becoming more irregular. ‘Well, she’s a nosy little thing, isn’t she?’ I lightened the mood slightly. ‘She asked who I was and after she made herself a cup of tea and enjoyed my chat show, I had to tell her to leave but she said she was coming back tomorrow.’ He gasped a sign of relief, started to tuck into the vegetable pot roast I had cooked for him and turned his attention to the television. ‘I also had to tell her I was your girlfriend but don’t worry, I maintained your angelic image and told her the truth that the baby isn’t yours!’ I laughed as he spat out the hot potato.

He joined in the laughter and took a sip of wine. Returning to talk about the stresses of his day, he hadn’t realised he had finished three large glasses of red wine while finishing his meal. He took the bottle over to the sofa and slumped into the plush cushions.

I followed him and got comfortable - my favourite show was about to start. The baby was surprisingly quiet this evening but I didn’t complain, I just took advantage of the peace and sunk into the sofa. ‘Shall I turn off the lights?’ he asked.

The lights were reflecting onto the television, making it awkward to watch, so I nodded. He lit some candles around the room and brought me a glass of blood.

The candlelight provided a relaxing atmosphere to an otherwise stressful evening and we both descended into the sofa, feeling like couch potatoes, and got cosy. ‘Are you comfortable?’ he asked as I lay down. He joined me, resting his weary head on my stomach.

The baby hummed with excitement and he started playing with my bump, putting his finger on different areas of my stomach. The baby seemed to identify with his touch by sending him a small electrical shock, complete with a spark of white light. ‘This is amazing!’ Luther shouted as the baby began to get more playful and Luther stepped up the challenge.

He started using both hands to see how fast the baby was and was astonished when it began to predict his moves. ‘I can’t believe he can move that fast. It’s like he has eight arms,’ he said, noticing my unimpressed expression.

‘Well that may be the case, but how about we leave it for now? It’s making me a little uncomfortable…’ I tried not to think about what I could be holding in my arms in a matter of days.