Chapter 25

Sean POV
Since that conversation on the ferris wheel, Liz has been acting weird and by weird, I mean avoiding me.
Like just a little.
We still talk though but I can tell that something's wrong.
Maybe she knows that I was talking about her when I said that I liked someone.
Stupid stupid stupid
I Shouldn't have even asked her or even told
her. What if this just makes us awkward?
Maybe confessing is a bad idea...
Confess quickly! Don't make her wait!
The fortune teller's voice echoed in my head.
Those words encouraged me and made me feel more confident...
But how?

"Liz I like you. Do you like me?"
Cringe...
"Liz, I have something to say... I like you. Do you want to go out with me?"
What if she rejects me?
"Hey Liz! Do you like me? cause I like you!"
Gosh the thought of actually telling her makes my knees buckle in nervousness...

"Sean! I need your help with the cleaning here!" Grandma's voice snapped me out of my daze. I placed the wet table cloth that I was using to wipe the tables, on the counter before I headed to the kitchen. The moment I entered the kitchen, I noticed Liz going out of it through the other door, avoiding me once more. She glanced at me and since I was also staring at her as she walked out, we made eye contact for that one split second before she tore her eyes away and looked down.

It was like this the entire weekend. Whenever I entered a room, she left through the other door or simply avoided eye contact or speaking to me when in the same room.
I was constantly planning how I would tell her, determined not to screw it up.
And now, I have to think about how I am even going to be in the same room as her without her leaving or avoiding me like the plaque.
As the days flew by, I became more and more paranoid and nervous.

Maybe she doesn't want me to confess. Maybe she doesn't feel the same way as I do...
Perhaps I could just tell her that I don't like her? Damn... now I have to lie?

It was already Monday morning and she still wasn't speaking to me. The only words we've exchanged were awkward apologies because we bumped into each other while we were serving customers...

But this time, she has no choice but to walk to school with me and we can't keep having this awkward tension forever. If she really doesn't want me confessing and liking her, then maybe lying is for the best.

We walked in silence, the were the distant chirping of the birds in the morning and the vehicles that were on the road filling the awkward silence.
"I... uhh... Liz?"

She slowly looked up at me through her eyelashes and I was confused as it was only now did I notice how beautiful she is. What was once dull and boring to me were now the things I looked forward most to seeing everyday.

But I had to give her what she wants. Or at least, what I think she wants.
I cleared my throat and played with my fingers, clasping my hands together nervously.

"If you're avoiding me because you think I was talking about you back at the carnival, don't umm... It's not you. Its another girl...So there's no need to avoid me..."
my voice trailed off at the end due to the awkwardness and nervousness.
I wanted to swallow my words back the moment I told her that.

For a moment there, I swear her eyes teared up a little.
"Yeah! Yeah I know... That thought never crossed my mine even for a second." She let out a humourless chuckle.

"I didn't mean to avoid you. Sorry." She mumbled.

I feel terrible now.
Isn't this what she wanted?

"Stacey right?" She asked, looking up at me.
She smiled but after seeing her smile a thousand times, I know that it was fake.
I was thrown aback by her words. Stacey? What does Stacey got to do with this?

"Stacey's great! You guys would be great together. Just don't break her heart okay playboy?" She smiled again but before I could even utter a word, she excused herself and increased her speed, walking into the school.
I was left stunned and confused, standing there and watching the girl I love walk away.

_____________________________________
"Hey! What's wrong with you?"
I groaned as I remained in the same position, my head on the table.
Gosh was I frustrated.
"Did you get rejected by a girl?" Jake, my best friend, teased.
I raised my head, shooting him a glare.
"Its worse than that." I mumbled in annoyance, letting my head fall back down.
"Okay... well spill it then!"
"Not in the mood to."
"Oh come on! I'm your best friend!"
Persistent asshole...
I grumbled before sitting up straight.
"Utter a single word out and you're screwed." "Deal."
"Its... about a girl." I sighed as I thought about" Liz.
"Really?" He leaned in, intrigued." Who?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"That's not the main point. The thing is, I think I might like her but the thing is... I think that she doesn't feel the same."

"Have you told her yet?" He dragged a chair over and sat down next to my table.
"Nope. And I'm not planning to. In fact, I kinda lied to her that I don't like her like that..."
"Why would you do that?" He looked appalled .

"For someone who gets so many girls, you are really bad at this." He rubbed his temple in frustration.

"Won't confessing just ruins our friendship? And besides, after I told her that I like someone, she started acting weird and avoiding me so pretty sure she doesn't want me to confess."

"Well... what was her reaction when you told her that it wasn't her?"  He seemed like a detective, snooping around for clues.

"She um... I think that she thinks that I for some reason, like Stacey and after that, she seemed to be in some sort of hurry? I'm not sure."

"Was she happy?"
"She smiled so..."
"Yeah, but was she actually happy? You should be able to tell can't you?"
"She seemed sad." I mumbled, unsure of what his point was.

All of a sudden, I felt him smack the back of my head. "You're such a idiot sometimes Sean." 
"Ow! What?" I rubbed my head in annoyance, glaring at him.
"Its pretty obvious isn't it? Pretty sure she thought that you liked Stacey so thats why she avoided you."

"That makes no sense at all? Like why would she avoid me if she thinks I like Stacey."

"Dude." Jake gave me a look that said
'Seriously?'

"You really can be dense sometimes. Ever thought that she might actually like you and hence was hurt?"
The moment he said that, I was taken aback. I never really thought about that possibility. I kinda accepted the fact that I'm not her usual type. If she has a type at all...

"But she..." I thought about how hurt she looked when I told her that that someone wasn't her. Or simply how she laughed even when I told her the lamest puns in the world.

"So... what do I do now?" I was unsure, confused. What was the next step?
Do I confess suddenly? Would she think that I was fickle - minded?
"Tell her! Now! Face to face! Girls like that!" He seemed amused with my lack of experience.
Immediately, all sorts of insecurities and doubts filled my head.
"I might stutter."
"Stutter then." He replied instantaneously.
"I might make a fool out of myself." I felt my heart pound.
"That's how confessions are supposed to be." He retorted.
"How would I know if she even likes me back for real?"
A question that's been occupying my mind for days.
"There's only one way to find out then huh?" His tone smug yet encouraging.

"Its lunch now. Its now or never. " He raised an eyebrow, as if daring me to make my decision.

I took a deep breath before standing up and walking out the door and towards the cafeteria in large strides. Only focused on finding Liz Summers