sixteen

After Harry left, I shut the door and turned to face my family. Dad stood by the tree with his ironically long hair in a low ponytail. Mom sat politely next to him, smiling softly. "Happy Christmas, you guys." I smiled, walking over to hug them. I hugged them both. Together, we separated the gifts. I went to the kitchen to make hot chocolate, our family tradition. Once it was ready, I brought it out and set the mugs on the end table by the couch. We sat down as a family and sipped our hot chocolates as we went to open gifts. Mom went first, so when she grabbed the box that Harry and I had picked out for her, I grinned.

"Oh, sweetheart. Thank you, it's beautiful." She showed dad the pair of earrings that were in the box. I smiled happily. "I'm guessing Harry helped you pick it out." She winked. I shrugged, blushing slightly. Then it was my turn to open a gift. I picked the envelope that sat on top of one of the boxes. As I opened it, I saw it was a card with money inside. There was over $500 in the envelope. "For your trip with Harry." Mom grinned. I hugged them and we went on with the gifts. We did this until everything was opened and the living room was cleaned. By then, it was nearly three o'clock in the afternoon, so mom and I started to make dinner. We made a ham dinner with potatoes, cranberries, corn, the works.

"How about you invite Harry over for dinner, Draco? I'm sure he's busy with his family, but it's worth asking." Dad recommended. I nodded, smiling. I ran up to my room and grabbed my phone. Harry answered on the third ring.

"Hey D, what's up?" His voice sounded rough as if he had been crying. Immediately I asked if he was okay. "I'm fine, don't worry. Did you need something? I only just saw you this morning." He chuckled.

"My parents and I wanted to invite you over for Christmas dinner." I smiled softly. He let out a deep breath and I could tell he was desperate to get out of his house. "I'm on my way." I hung up and grabbed my keys, running out the door and to my car. When I got to Harry's, I ran into the house without knocking and up to Harry's room. He sat on his bed, head in his hands. I sat down and wrapped my arms around him tightly. "C'mon, Har. Let's go, you're staying at my house again tonight." When he nodded, I put together a quick overnight bag and helped Harry out to the car. As we drove, it was silent. I didn't know what to say, but I wanted to know what was killing him so badly. "Are you going to tell me what happened?" I broke the silence, looking over at Harry quickly before looking back at the road in front of us. Harry looked up and sighed, nodding.

"I came out to my parents on Christmas Eve. Right before I called you," He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "They got mad. Furious, even. I-I didn't know what was going to happen. They said they needed time to think, which is why I called you. They wanted me to get out of the house for the day." I got more and more angry as Harry went on. "Today, when I got home from your house they were sitting at the kitchen table. The tree in the living room had nothing under it. Nothing. The house seemed dead." His eyes began to well up with tears. "They sat me down at the table and told me I have three days to pack up and get out." As he finished his sentence, we pulled up to my house. I looked over at him in a mixture of anger, sorrow, and pity. I unbuckled my seat belt and leaned over to hug him tightly. "I should have told you sooner, but fuck. I didn't know how to bring it up. I knew they were pissed, but I didn't think they would kick me out."

"During dinner, we'll talk to my parents and you can stay with us. We'll go back to yours after dinner and pack up your things. You deserve happiness, Harry. Not this. Anything but this." I whispered in his ear.