eighteen

We woke up to a furious pounding on the front door downstairs. Growling, I released Harry from my grasp and went down to answer it. Standing in front of me was an angry James Potter and a timid Lily Potter. "C-Can I help you?" I tried to remain calm, but knowing how they treated Harry made me angry. James ignored me and burst through the door, calling for Harry. "Excuse you, but you can't just burst into my house." I growled. He turned to face me with flames in his eyes.

       "You're going to let me talk to my son or," He paused when Lily placed a hand on his shoulder. "Just... Just let me see him, please." I called for Harry, who came downstairs. He frowned at the sight of his parents. "Harry, I'm sorry." He cried. Harry shook his head and walked over to me. He stood behind me in case his father got angry again. "I want you to come home. What you're going through, this is just a phase. You just need to meet the right girl. We've arranged a date for you with that little Weasley girl." He grinned forcefully. Harry turned green and shook his head.

       "A-Actually, sir. Harry and I are together." I lied, wrapping an arm around Harry's waist. He was alarmed and confused at first, but relaxed into my touch and placed a hand on my chest when he turned to lean into me. "He won't need to go on that date, he's already got someone." I explained, not releasing my grip. Lily's eyes began to glisten with tears as she smiled softly. James however became more furious than ever. "I think you should leave." I finally released my grip on Harry and began to walk menacingly forward. James growled and stomped out of the house. Lily stayed, however, and came over to hug us.

       "Don't listen to your father, sweetheart. I have no part in his insanity." She whispered to Harry. "I love you. Sometime soon I'll take the both of you out. Just the three of us." She kissed Harry's cheek and left the house. Harry looked over at me and almost instantly broke down in tears.

      "I'm here, baby, I'm here." I whispered, hugging him tightly. We sat like that on the living room floor for hours it felt like.