Chapter 3: Douche Bag Dinner

We stepped out onto the back porch and my mouth involuntarily dropped. There were people everywhere. Several strands of lights adorned every tree on the property. There were several hot, sweaty boys running around playing a game of basketball on a court at the far end of the property. Basketball is about the only sport I was good at, and I wouldn't mind playing on this court at all! There was a tennis court to the left and what looked like a golf course off in the distance. Right in the middle of the back yard was a swimming pool adorned with stone boulders and rocks, a waterfall, palm trees and even a slide. Then, closer to us, on the porch, were several grills and picnic tables. I looked beside me and saw that Joya and I had the same shocked look. I mean we were loners, barely making it day to day, living in small apartments and shacks a quarter of the size of the living room here. This was too much.

Alpha Luke chuckled causing us to come to our senses.

"Sorry. We're not really used to this," I said half in awe, half jealous.

He smiled knowingly and nodded as we stepped off the porch. I noticed now, at this point that everyone was looking at us. I didn't mind that too much. I just didn't want my smart ass mouth to falter the Alpha's decision to offer us protection.

"Good luck with that," my wolf remarked, finally joining the living.

"Shut up Trix. What makes you finally decide to come to life?"

Trix was usually dormant unless we're running or killing. She thought she was too good for everyday human activities. She and I were complete opposites; she's high maintenance and I'm rather laid back. I am pretty sure I let her out for too long when I first became a rogue. My human side was not strong enough to deal with everything emotionally and Trix took over. She healed me in a way that I could not heal myself. My human side learned to shut down and Trix took all the trauma I encountered. I am eternally grateful for that. But now, she takes advantage of her kindness as if I owe her something. Pretty much, she's a bitch. She's the hateful side of me, the actual rogue in me.

"I don't know actually. I was just feeling anxious and fidgety. You should feel honored I graced you with my presence. Let's get this show on the road."

Our first introduction was to the Beta and his family. "Cat, Joya, this is my Beta Brent and his wife Victoria. These are their twins Tanner and Tawny, whom I'm sure you met today at the shop." I nodded as Joya introduced herself.

"By the way Cat, how was your first day at the shop? Did Carter get you squared away with all your duties?"

Right as I began to speak, Tanner interrupted.

"Actually, I showed her around mostly. Carter was so busy and I had some extra time."

Luke was questionably staring at me. "Is that right?" he asked with suspicion.

"Yes, Carter was extremely busy but he did show me the basics. Tanner and Tawny made sure I got acquainted with everything properly." I answered.

A look of relief came over Tanner's face and Tawny was sneering at me. As Luke was walked away, I looked at Tanner quizzically. He just shook his head at me telling me he couldn't really answer right now. So I shrugged and let it go, for now anyway. I didn't know what they were hiding but eventually, I was sure I would find out. I didn't normally care to be involved in others issues but when it involved me or this new job, I needed to make things clear. I wasn't here to make friends or play around. I wanted to do my job and protect Joya and that was it.

"Where is that son of mine?" Luke asked. "He should have been here by now."

"He's in his room getting dressed. He'll be down for dinner on time." Tanner answered.