Chapter 19 Family

Arms snuck around my waist and the familiar tingles started.

“These must be your grandparents? Nice to meet you both, I am Carter Timbers, future Alpha.” Carter said extending his right hand to shake my grandfather’s hand.

“Oh aren’t you a handsome one.” Anna exclaimed.

“And this is?” Carter turned his attention to Toby.

“This is Toby, my cousin.” I interrupted causing Toby to look at me blankly.

“Yes, I’m Toby, her cousin.” He shook Carter’s hand.

“Well, let’s not stand in the door way, come in. I was just about to make us some breakfast.” Carter said gesturing towards the living room.

As we settled, Carter excused himself to the kitchen. Joya had also followed him after she had come down and introduced herself to my family.

“What the hell was that?” Toby asked

“They don’t know about my ability. Frankly, I don’t know much either. I have never even used it until Cassie. So I hope that you can respect that I need to keep it a secret.”

“How am I supposed to get time to train you Cat if you are lying about why we are meeting? I was brought here under the pretenses that you were willing to learn more about your gift and to keep you from doing something stupid in the end.”

“And I appreciate that but if you could just keep things between us for now, I will work out a way for us to talk and you can train me.  Just please don’t tell them.

“They have a right to know Cat.” My grandmother cut in.

“And I will tell them. But not until I figure it out myself.” I answered her.

“Now, ya’ll leave my grandbaby alone and let’s talk about something more pleasant.” Archer said surprising all of us.

“So Cat,” Anna started, clearly changing the subject “What do you enjoy doing?”

Before I could respond Carter interrupted. “Cat works for me at the body shop I own in the city. She is an excellent receptionist and actually pretty damn good under the hood of a car.”

“Well, isn’t that interesting Archer?” Anna said leaning over into my grandfather’s embrace. “Archer also worked on his fair share of cars back in the day. He was very passionate about them.”

“Well, it must be where Cat gets it from.” Carter responded. “By the way, breakfast is ready if you all would join us in the dining room.”

We made our way into the dining room for breakfast. A spread of pancakes, fresh fruit, bacon, ham, sausage, hash browns, eggs – fried and scrambled, and three different types of juice were on the table. Also, already at the table sat Luke and Jemma, Carter’s parents. I gave Carter and incredulous look and he just shrugged and smiled.