Chapter 31: Comfortably Numb

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE GIFT BY SEETHER WHILE READING THIS LAST CHAPTER. I WAS LISTENING TO THIS SONG WHEN I GOT THE IDEA FOR THE STORY. I WILL ALSO POST THE LYRICS AT THE END IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT READ THIS STORY AND SUPPORTED ME FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO MY BATMAN SUGAR COOKIE. THIS IS FOR YOU.

When we finally slowed, close to our destination, we were deep in the woods, well out of Carter's territory. The anger rolling off of me was so intense that I could see the steam coming out of my own ears. Not only did I have to be in contact with this sperm donating prick, but I wasn't even allowed to rip his fucking throat out because only he could lead me to Carter.
"What's wrong Kitten?" He had the nerve to ask.
"Hey dad," he snapped his head up with a stunned look on his face. Something flickered in his eyes, only for a moment that seemed like a glimpse of nostalgia. "Fuck off." I finished. His face fell slightly but only to morph into a shit eating smirk.
"You know Caty Beth, if you weren't such a stupid ass little cunt, I might be proud of the way you turned out."
"And if you weren't such a power hungry dick head, my brother would still be alive." I spat venomously.
Smack
The sharp stinging pain resonated in my cheek before I could even come to terms with what happened. That idiotic little fucker hit me. Before I could charge at him, someone blocked my path.
"Well, well. This is the famous Catherine that I have been searching for. She is a lot prettier than you led on Brock." He directed at my father.
He stepped closer to twirl some of my fallen tendrils of hair around his fingers. I quickly slapped his hand away letting out an animalistic growl. "And feisty too. I like her a lot! A shame I'm going to have to kill her." He sighed dramatically.
I raised my eyes in realization. This must be the Alpha stealing all the gifts. As if reading my thoughts he responded.
"Oh darling, please forgive me. I am Alpha Damon." His eyes held so much evil that I had to mentally scold myself for almost shuttering. He stood tall and proud cowering over me by 2 feet at least. His skin matched his eyes and apparently his soul, dark black, and cold.
A muffled whimper to my right caught my attention before I could respond.
"Oh yes, I almost forgot, silly me. You're here to visit your mate. Alpha Carter, am I correct?" Damon asked while he painfully gripped my arm and drug me just a little past the wall of trees.
He then pushed me forcefully into another very small clearing. The sight in front of me had my knees buckling and tears springing to my eyes. I made a dash towards the scene when I was grappled around my waist almost immediately and thrown backwards by none other than my father. I quickly recovered and threw a punch to his kidney knocking him to the ground. I attempted to shift and dive in on top of him and tear him to shreds when someone rushed to his aid. I was once again pulled back but this time by Damon and a cold metal shackle was placed on both my wrist weighting me ad somehow stopping my shift. Iron. I was chained in iron shackles and unable to lift my arms due to them being extremely weighted. I thrashed about violently till I couldn't hardly move anymore while Damon and my father just watched with wide sardonic grins.
"Let her go. Now."
I glanced back over at the owner of the voice. The scene enraging me for a second time. His disheveled dark brown hair clung sweaty to his face. Blood streaked his body in just about every place. He was chained to a tree by silver chains and I could see his skin burning from where I stood, leaving scars he would never forget. His teeth were clenched in anger and pain. Which was more dominant, I'm not sure. His muscles were tense and held more anger than I'd ever seen, but his eyes bothered me most. His hazel eyes now a glowing gold but more empty than I'd ever seen in anyone other than myself. I knew that look. I wore that look everyday under a mask until I met Carter. He was already dead inside. I don't know what they had done to him before I arrived, but whatever it was, it meant defeat to him. But that wasn't even the worst part.
Next to him, chained up in the same manner was Joya. I remembered the whimpering sound that drew me near to begin with. She was trying to be strong for our sake but I could see her skin sizzling from where I stood. The only positive thing, was her stomach which held our child was not wrapped in the silver chains. She had her eyes closed and was breathing deeply as she tried to hide the pain. Livid was a mild word for how I was feeling.
"I swear on everything you love, if you don't unchain them, I will keep you alive and torture you until you are to the point of passing out every day and then I will let you rest just so I can do it again the next day." I gritted out.
"Well, that's the thing sweetheart, I don't love anyone or anything, well aside for myself. So you can save your idle threats." Damon replied.
"Dammit, what the fuck do you want?"
"You know exactly what I want."
"What does this curse do for you, hmm? How will having everyone's gifts benefit you? So what if it makes you more powerful, big whoop."
"Oh no you naïve girl, this isn't just about being the almighty powerful one. Once I have your gift, I will be immortal, invincible. I will never grow old and I will never die. I can rule all the werewolves forever and kill those who refuse to obey. No one will be able to stop me." Damon explained with a Cheshire cat grin.
I stared at him wide eyed. How? How is that even possible? I heard Joya's gasp and Carter's growl. They were listening intently despite the burning of their flesh. I cringed at the thought but listened as he continued to speak.
"I can see the confusion all over your face so let me explain. See you and I are more alike than you think."
I scoffed. Yeah right.
"Both of my parents were Healers and of course passed the gene on to me. When both of them died healing some ungrateful wolves in our pack, I decided I didn't want that life. I wanted to live. So I started off in the library looking for books that could cure me since I was cursed with the healing gift. I didn't want it anymore. I didn't want to die. Can you blame me? Who really wants to die, right?" He chuckled.
"I remember spending hours upon hours reading. I came upon this old book about ancient healers. I was sure I would find a cure. But, instead, I found something better. That's where I read that if I stole the gifts of the direct descendants of healers, seers, and death markers I could live forever. Turns out, you are the last living descendent of the healers. I have killed all the descendants with the other gifts. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy." He smiled with a look of nostalgia on his face that made me sick.
After a few seconds of though his attention returned. "Where was I? Oh yes, the book. So after I read that not only would I not die, but I would live forever, I couldn't turn down that opportunity. And that brings us where we are presently."
I couldn't do anything but stare at him for a while. I didn't have a clue how we were going to get out of this. How we could all live through this. But, more importantly I needed Carter and Joya to live. I would do anything for them. I glanced back and forth between them and Damon trying to formulate a plan when something caught my eye. That's when I noticed a rather large circle shape underneath his shirt. It was hanging from a very dainty silver linked chain, the moon rock. If I could get them out and then crush the moon rock before he killed me, he'd be powerless.
"Okay. If you let them go, I will give you me. But I have to be sure that they are safe and that you won't kill them as soon as you take me. So here's what's going to happen. You are going to call of your dogs. Our pack has seen enough blood shed. Then you are going to let Carter and Joya go. Once I know everyone is save, I will walk out of this clearing with you back to wherever the fuck you came from and you can do whatever you want with me there."
"No!" Carter and Joya screamed.
I looked at the both of them. Their eyes were pleading with me but they didn't realize I had a plan. I just sent them a sad smile, knowing either way this went, I wouldn't be coming out of this alive. But, Joya and Carter would. And so would the baby. They would live one big happy family, like they always should.
"My fighters will retreat. I will send them home. And, I will let one go now, your mate or the girl. Then once I am satisfied that I have you and I am safe, no tricks, I'll let the other one go."
"No. Both of them go free now."
"It's a compromise Catherine. One I usually don't make. Take it or you can all die." He growled.
"Okay." I conceded.
"Deal."
Within minutes the sounds of screams and fighting in the distance died down. Silence was left.
"Now choose who to let go first."
"Joya." I said without hesitation. I loved Carter, I did. But I knew he would want her and the baby out of harm's way. Once they were safe, we would both breathe a little better.
"Okay Brock, let Miss Joya go please."
My father walked in front of her while pushing on gloves to protect him from the silver and unshackled the iron from her feet and hands first that was keeping her from shifting. He then walked behind her loosening the silver chains from around her frail body. Once she was completely free, she fell to the ground on shaky knees. She was hurting and it killed me. I was about to ask for someone to help her back to the house when she did the unthinkable, she shifted. Her raven black fur sprouting and she barred her teeth. She instantly attacked my sperm donor, who hadn't had time to shift. Before she went in for the kill, he pulled out a blade and stuck it into her throat. I faintly heard Carter's agonizing scream as the mate bond broke and he lost his mate and child. She took a bite out of Brock's throat, killing him as well before she took her last breath.
I gasped for air in shock. Hot tears rolled down my face. Her fur had retracted and she laid their naked as blood poured out of her. I became bleak after minutes of staring at the scene in front of me. And then, I became angry. How could she be so stupid? I was going to take care of her. I was going to let Carter give her the life she deserved. It was ironic, not humorously, how I had tried so hard to protect and save her our whole lives and in the end she was just trying to return the favor. But it also got her killed and our child. How the fuck could she do that? I began to shake furiously.
"Tsk tsk. What a shame. I liked Joya. I am actually kind of stunned. I didn't think she had it in her." Damon shook his head. "Your father, on the other hand, was a coward. I'm glad she killed him."
Carter was still screaming agonizingly, physically dying. But he was still alive because of our bond. And if I could get out, I could even heal his emotional pain. He would still know the pain, but it wouldn't be detrimental.
"Please unshackle me." I pleaded. "I just want to heal him before you let him go. Then you can kill me." With my power, he wouldn't die once I was killed. He could live if Damon would just let me go.
"No can do sweetheart. I need all that gift saved for me. But, I tell you what, I will make it easier on you. I'll put him out of his misery."
Before I had the slightest second to protest a blade was brought across his neck, slicing into his jugular and spewing crimson red liquid onto the forest floor. And that's when I felt it, the most excruciating tear in my soul. It was as if I was literally being ripped to pieces. I knew he was gone and my soul would never be the same. And somehow, that was enough to break me.
"See love, isn't that better?" Damon cooed now standing in front of me.
I spit in his face. And then He back handed me so hard that it threw my entire body to the right. I tasted the metallic blood in my mouth but I didn't feel a thing, not anymore, not ever again. I just turned my head back to him and smiled.
"Let's just get this shit over with so you can die and I can go home shall we?" Damon said. "Now I have to undo your hands from the shackles so that you can place them on the stone and transfer your power, but I will be chaining you up so that you can't kill me so don't try anything."
I just continued to look at him blankly, still not feeling anything as he wrapped the silver chains around my body. I hardly registered the sizzling on my skin. He then unshackled my hands and pulled the stone out from under his shirt. He then placed my hands on it and began to recite an incantation. The stone began to glow. I could feel my power project from my body. It seemed to be seeping out of my finger tips and my body was growing weaker. I felt my exhaustion creep in when suddenly Damon's body was tossed to the ground. The necklace was ripped off his neck in the process and laying in my hands. I looked up in astonishment as Toby wrestled with Damon. Damon's large body looked even bigger under Toby but the punches Toby were throwing seemed to be doing a lot of damage. Toby reached easily around to the shackles that were once cuffed around my hands. He cuffed them to Damon and pulled him back up against the tree where Joya had been chained. Toby wrapped the silver chains around him, ignoring the burning of his own skin. Once he was satisfied that Damon was securely restricted he made his way over to me and hastily freed me.
I tried to speak, to thank Toby for what he done, but I couldn't. I really wasn't thankful at all. I wish I would have died there. But I didn't and this son of a bitch was going to pay. I looked at Toby, whose focus was now on his Alpha male and Female's dead bodies. Tears welled up in his eyes and threatened to pool over. I pushed him out of my way, unable to feel sorry for him or even for them, again, unable to feel anything. I stood in front of the self-proclaimed big bad Alpha that ruined my life. The man that ripped away the last bit of self I had. He was going to die. I began mercilessly pounding his face. My knuckles began to rip and bleed as I bashed his bones in. I heard every crunch, every snap, but I felt nothing.
Toby trying to pull me off snapped me out of my trance. I looked into his concerned eyes and seen his worry and fear and unsureness. But I didn't care. I balled my fist again with intentions of continuing my torture when I felt the cool moon stone in my hand. I had been holding it the whole time. I walked away to a boulder that was just a few feet away. I placed the moon stone on the boulder and picked up a rock to smash it.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you sweetheart." Damon slurred, his jaw surely unhinged.
I looked at him and smirked before crashing the stone into pieces. Bright pale blue light exploded from it. A strange sensation overcame my body and my blood felt jittery pumping through my veins. Then the light died out.
I turned back to look at Damon and smirked while shrugging my shoulders. "Seemed like a good idea to me."
Do you know what he did? He laughed. The sadistic asshole laughed and laughed sputtering blood with every cackle.
"What in the hell is so funny you dumb fuck? Do you not realize that you are fixing to die?" I gritted out.
Trying to calm himself he spoke "You're right, I maybe. But you aren't." Then he began laughing again.
I made my way back over to him and punched him as hard as I could. "What in Goddess's name are you talking about?" I growled.
"You broke the stone causing the gifts to expel from it. Also meaning, you absorbed the powers making you immortal." He responded with a smile.
I couldn't take it anymore. I ripped the blade that was still lodged in Joya's throat out without even so much as a flinch. Without a second thought, I jabbed it into Damon's jaw, forcing it into his mouth. "That should shut him up." I mumbled to myself.
Toby stood there, stunned and unmoving. I am sure he was trying to process everything. I shook him trying to bring him back to reality.
"Tobs, snap out of. I need you to go get Tanner and Jack and have they come carry the bodies back to the pack house for a burial ceremony." I said emotionless.
"Cat, I--...." He started. I held up my hand to stop him. "But Cat, please...." He tried.
"Don't Toby, just don't. I need you to do what I told you to do. When you get back, I won't be here. I just need you to take care of the bodies."
He didn't say another word. He stepped as close to me as he could and pressed his body tightly against mine. He wrapped his arms around me, engulfing me in a hug. I didn't return the gesture but I let him do whatever he needed to do. When he stepped away he gently kissed my forehead and then turned and walked away without another word. The silence sunk in and I broke. I laid between the bodies of the two people I loved the most and cried. I cried and wailed and screamed till I had nothing left. I let myself feel the anger, and the pain, and the sadness and the sorrow. I let myself be vulnerable and susceptible to emotion one last time. I kissed Joya on her head first and spooned behind her. She had been my best friend and first love. Her heart was so pure and humbling. I could never repay her for the happiness she gave me. I rubbed her belly where our child was no longer moving. She would have a first birthday. She would never meet her grandparents. She would never see the nursery we designed. She would never breathe air. She would never live.
I then rolled over where Carter's body lay and wrapped my arms around his waist. I replayed all the memories we shared, the way he made me feel. I had never felt so secure since Riley died as I did when Carter wrapped his arms around me. He was so in love with me and remembered to tell me that every second he could, and I with him. My life was a better one because of him. And I was responsible for the ending of his. That sobered me up. All of this was my fault. I would always be at fault. Now that I was immortal, I would have to live literally forever with the guilt. I would never be able to escape the pain. I was stuck as this monster forever. I had nothing left to live for yet I could never die.    

I finally stood, willing myself away from the only people I ever loved and I walked away, once again an empty shell, comfotably numb.

WELL YOU GUYS, THAT'S THE END.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO VOTE, COMMENT, HATE ME.....WHATEVER JUST SO I KNOW IT'S BEING READ. THANKS AGAIN!
HERE ARE THE WORDS TO THE SONG THAT INSPIRED ME.
"The Gift"
Hold me now I need to feel relief
Like I never wanted anything
I suppose I'll let this go and find a reason I'll hold on to
I'm so ashamed of defeat
And I'm out of reason to believe in me
I'm out of trying to get by
I'm so afraid of the gift you give me
I don't belong here and I'm not well
I'm so ashamed of the lie I'm living
Right on the wrong side of it all
I can't face myself when I wake up
And look inside a mirror
I'm so ashamed of that thing
I suppose I'll let it go
Until I have something more to say for me
I'm so afraid of defeat
And I'm out of reason to believe in me
I'm out of trying to defy
I'm so afraid of the gift you give me
I don't belong here and I'm not well
I'm so ashamed of the lie I'm living
Right on the wrong side of it all
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
I'm so afraid of the gift you give me
I don't belong here and I'm not well
I'm so ashamed of the lie I'm living
Right on the wrong side of it all
Now I'm ashamed of this
I am so ashamed of this
Now I'm so ashamed of me
I am so ashamed of me...