Chapter 11: Dun Dun Dunnn

We all sat in the Alpha's office fidgeting slightly. He had a rectangle black, sleek metal desk and behind it sat a humongous leather  chair, also black. The room was larger than our whole apartment. I didn't expect anything else, after all, it was the Alpha's office, but it was still a shock to actually see. I had never been in one before. I was never allowed in my father's office. The back wall was covered in nothing but black 26 side by side filing cabinets. I assumed by the A-Z labels on each drawer that it held all information about every pack member. The walls were adorned with pictures of the Alpha family. I lingered of the ones of Carter when he was younger. I especially like the pictures of him and his little sister Cassie, whom I still had yet to meet. There was a brown suede couch on the wall to our right and a medium sized flat screen mounted in the left corner adorned with a DVD player. Security camera screens were on the wall to the left.

I was nervous as hell. I felt as if I was sitting in the principle's office. Well, I had never actually been in a school so I wasn't sure what that felt like but I assumed it went something like what we were doing. Carter looked just as unsettled and I knew that it shouldn't, but it made me feel better. He had felt an inkling of what I felt. But then again, all he had done was find his mates. Sure, mates, as in plural, two females, but that isn't bad compared to my situation. He wasn't the reason for his whole packs demise. He hadn't hidden a huge secret from the Alpha protecting him. He didn't have his father as an enemy, putting everyone around him in danger. Come to think about it, why the hell was he so nervous?

"Carter, why are you jumpier than a drug addict in church who is going through withdrawals?"

"Well" Carter said with his eyes glued to the ground "I sort of lied to my father and told him we weren't mates. The might of the dinner after you left he quizzed me as to why I was acting strange and why I avoided you. I told him it was because you were rogue. Then, as you can tell, I haven't been sleeping well. This mate bond was a lot stronger than I anticipated. I thought he hadn't noticed, but he did. When he asked if I had found my mate, I told him no. That it was because of work stress. I kind of feel like Peter and Jesus where he denied Jesus three times." He shook his head smiling. "Now not only am I going to have to tell him we are, but I am going to have to tell him I have two."

I guess he felt guilty because he had lied to his father. He may have even thought that he hurt my feelings by denying me as his mate. If I had any feelings, it might have. But it honestly didn't bother me. I knew we had been at a point where I hadn't wanted him and he hadn't wanted me. I was probably still  at that point to be truthful. I didn't know what was going to happen. The more I thought about it, I wondered what changed between then and now to make him want to be with me?

"Carter, you didn't want me before. Why do you want to be with me now? Didn't we kind of  agree to go our separate ways?"

"Look, there is something I need to tell both of you before we even commit to this.There was a reason I didn't want to be attached. I have focused my life around something and didn't want to lose it. It's a secret that my family and I have kept from the rest of the pack for safety reasons, personal family reasons. I need to know that you both can keep this to yourselves and not tell anyone. It pertains to the dearest and closest person to me. Cat, it will explain where I was on the first day you came to my office. It will explain why I have been absent so much.  It's about ....."

It was then that Alpha Luke made his way into the office. Carter instantly focused on his father after shooting us an apologetic look. Luke's hair was on the messy side like he had been pulling at it. His eyes had worry in them and he had paled a shade. I knew his appearance was my fault. Carter had mind linked him earlier to explain  the situation about my letter while we were still in his room let him know. What Carter didn't know, was that his dad already knew most of the story. I was just leaving out one little detail. Who am I kidding? It was a big detail and may cause more harm than hurt.