Chapter 16: Pencil + Barefeet = Bad

I was hot. Like, I was really hot. I was sticky and it felt as if I was under a blanket of sweat. My body felt unbelievably heavy and I didn't understand why. I found my efforts useless as I tried to move in search of some kind of relief, a fresh breath. Feeling restricted, I began to panic. Claustrophobia took over and I couldn't help but thrash about furiously.

I froze when a whacking sound caused a deep bass voice to break through the silence of the room.

"Ouch! Does she always wake up so violently?" I heard a sleepy Carter ask with pain and clear amusement in his voice.

I slowly looked beside me to see Carter lying there with his hand over his nose. Apparently I had popped him on accident during my thrashing about.

"Yes, yes she does." Joya replied sleepily. I was still half groggy and a bit hung-over. So nothing odd registered at first about the situation I was in.

Humiliated, I pulled the covers over my head to try and escape the limelight. I let out a loud shriek when I discovered three naked bodies under the sheets, one being mine. The realization of why I couldn't move was suddenly and dreadfully apparent. I was stuck in the middle of Joya and Carter. Joya's top leg was thrown over mine and she faced my direction. I was lying straight on my back looking up at the ceiling. Carter was thrush, pressed firmly against my left leg, along with all his other parts. He had one arm I hadn't noticed underneath my neck and the other draped lazily over my torso with his fingers intertwined in Joya's.

Feeling the need to escape the cuddling fest (I don't do cuddling), I jumped up breaking Carter and Joya's hands apart like I was competing in an Olympic game of Red Rover. I basically flew out of the bed and into the bathroom leaving an astonished Carter and a smug Joya behind.

"Is she okay?" I heard Carter ask Joya concerned.

"Yeah, she's fine. She just doesn't do well with the mating/dating thing. She's a bit more closed off. She'll come around though, I think." Joya responded with a hidden uncertainty in her voice I could only detect.

I tuned the rest of their conversation out as I returned to my temporary safe haven. Immediately to my left was a small seating area with to large upright plush chairs with a little book nook in between them. As you stepped through the threshold, Carter's bathroom came into view. It was a crimson color with black marbled counter tops and black cabinetry. Little accents of gold adorned the room. There was a long, maybe 12 foot, counter top on my left with his and her white sinks with gold faucets. A beautiful floral arrangement of white carnations sat in a golden vase in the center of the counter.

I walked in front of the large mirror above the sink and frowned at my appearance. My hair was in a matted mess and intangible. There were dark circles under my eyes from last nights make up and I was a severe shade of white. Then a revelation hit me. I glanced frantically at my collar bone in the mirror to check for any mating marks. I remembered most of last night but some splashes of memory were just the blurred feelings of euphoria. I was certainly relieved when "the mark" was no where to be found. I may be Carter's mate but I am not ready to be mated to him for life. The mark of a mate means your souls are bound together for life. It's like the human version of being married but on a much deeper and physical level. Even more, the mark of an Alpha means accepting a position as Luna and mother of the pack. Its like being a president's first lady except with a pack of wild beasts! There were a lot more things that needed to be worked out and discussed before I even considered being marked, if ever.

Finally stepping into the huge walk in shower, I turned the water on, slightly above lukewarm temperature and relished in the beating of the water on my worn and tired body. After washing and scrubbing, I noticed the shower made of stone had a bench located in the corner that looked inviting. Finally having a moment alone, I broke down and cried for the first time in a long time. I don't know why everything finally hit me, but it hit me hard. I sat down and tucked my legs under my arms and placed my head down on my knees. I thought about my father. I had run for so long and kept myself detached from everyone for their safety. Now, I was unable to stay away and felt incredibly selfish for wanting to be a part of a family. This would result in a pack fighting a war that was not theirs. People would die and it would be my fault. The question continuously surfacing wreaked havoc on my mind. "Would we be able to defeat him?"