Chapter 22: The Little Mermaid

After Toby's confession, I finally understood the reason behind his haunted grey eyes... I selfishly felt relieved that someone felt the same inner turmoil I felt every second of everyday. After several minutes if silence and self-reflection Toby spoke.

"I will help you but I need you to promise me something." he looked at me pleadingly.

I nodded for him to continue.

"Promise me that you will tell Joya and Carter what's going on. They deserve to know."

"I will tell them when it's time Toby, only when it's time."

I got up to make my way inside and visit Cassie. I had wasted enough time. I was sure Joya and Carter would be back soon. I looked over my shoulder and glared at Toby. He reluctantly stood to his feet and trudged behind me. Silently we made our way down to Cassie's room.

I was surprised when I entered her room and seen her sitting up in the bed. She nodded towards me with excitement twinkling in her jade eyes indicating she was feeling better than before. I noticed her green orbs shift in Toby's direction. Hesitance replaced excitement. Toby stepped forward to introduce himself.

"Hey, beautiful. I'm Toby. I'm here to help Cat help you if that's okay."

I noticed the color in her cheeks change from its usual liquid white to a blushing pink hue. Toby was probably the first boy besides her family and Tanner to call her beautiful. I stood back comforted in their joyful exchange of 'hellos.'

"Cassie, we need another session and Toby is kind of my mentor. We are going to make you better now." I explained as I sat down on her bed. "He has taught me new things and given me something that will help me do this with less pain to the both of us. You don't have to worry or anything as we do this okay?"

She just nodded. I looked over at Toby with a nod telling him we were both ready to begin. I stood and placed my hands on the bottom of Cassie's feet, my palms resting against the soft skin. Toby stood next to me as both Cassie's and my eyes fluttered shut. Focusing on the mere sound of his voice, I allowed my energy to seep into her.

"Concentrate on everything Cat, not just your energy draining and not just her sickness. Concentrate on breathing normal. Hear your heartbeat and either slow it or make it go faster to match Cassie's. Move up her body very slowly." Toby whispered as he slowly guided me up every inch of Cassie's frail body, my hands tenderly caressing her skin.

I listened to his calming words and did what he said. His technique along with the secret herbal tea he's been making me drink makes this experience very different from the rest. I felt calm and peaceful unlike the last few times I tried to do this on my own. I had just held Cassie's hand before and pushed my energy and power onto her with everything I had. I usually had a headache and was extremely tired and lightheaded but this time was different. By the time I reached the top of Cassie's head, her heart rate had slowed significantly and her soft snores filled the room.

"That was......." I started.

"......incredible." Toby finished.

We stood there for the longest time admiring her body. Her frailness seemed irrevocable. Her skin tone was normal beige. Her fingers and toes were pink again. The dark purple circles were almost non-existent. The sickness that encased her body was now untraceable and before me was a beautiful, seemingly healthy little girl. I furiously wiped at the tears falling from my cheeks.

All too sudden, a strange, strong light headedness invaded my body. I lost my footing and stumbled backwards. Strong arms wrapped around my waist keeping me upright. Toby swept me into his arms bridal style and I had no energy to refuse.

"Too much Cat, you did too much at once." I heard him mumble as he carried me up the stairs to Carter's bedroom. The last thing I seen was grey orbs full of concern before darkness overtook me.

"Baby.......baby." I heard someone whispering as they brushed hair away from my face. "Baby, wake up."

I fluttered my eyes open to the sight of the most beautiful girl in the world. My raven haired angel was leaning over me. I chuckled.

"What's so funny?" she asked me with amusement in her tone.

"Well, when I opened my eyes you looked a lot like that scene off of The Little Mermaid when Ariel is leaning over Prince Eric after rescuing him from drowning," I reached up to touch her face. "Where the sun rays are shining around her face and she looks angelic. That is how you looked just now when I woke up." I answered adoringly.

"That is sweet" she bent down and kissed my forehead "but why did you laugh? Who are you and what did you do with my girlfriend. My Cat would never be this sappy."

"Oh well I laughed because then I was trying to picture you with a red wig on and a mermaid tail butt naked. But then I was wondering how we would have sex with that tail on you. Which led me to wonder how mer-people have sex? I pictured them beating their tails against one another. That is what made me laugh." I shrugged.

"There's my Cat." She playfully hit my shoulder. "Where do you come up with this stuff?"

"It's a gift." I responded while shifting myself upright to lean against the headboard of the bed.

"How long was I out for?"

"About five hours. Toby said you were really cranky so he told you he wasn't going to speak to you until you came back to bed and got some sleep. Of course, I apologized to him. I told him you weren't a morning person and we had woken you up a little bit too early this morning. He said, and I quote, "no kidding."

Note to self: Tell Toby thank you for covering my ass.

"So why do I have to get up now then?" I asked just now noticing Joya was only wearing a neon yellow sports bra with a reflecting grey Nike sign and matching shorts. I grabbed her and pulled her onto my lap facing me.

"Well Carter is home and is starting the training session with the pack. He wanted me to leave you asleep so you could rest but I told him you'd be seriously pissed if you missed a session." She replied while playing with the strands of my hair.

"You know me so well." I answered pulling her tightly to my chest.

My love for this girl was infinite. I will be the first to admit that I am extremely difficult to be around, let alone live with or love. Sometimes I cause arguments just to give me a reason to push people away. I want to hurt people before they hurt me. But Joya stood by me, her love and support never faltering. While most people would have dragged me out of my deep dark hole, she just refused my pleas for her to leave and find a better life and she climbed down in the hole with me. She got comfortable and her light illuminated my soul.

She had the same hell I had weighted on her shoulders. Orphaned by the world, left with absolutely no family. She should be the one bitter and hateful and full of resentment. But, she isn't. She is caring and pure and heartwarming. She is completely positive about everything. She is the anchor to my soul that often tries to shy away, skip away. Her love is unwavering. To be honest, she is the strongest one out of us. I am weak, selfishly with fear.

"I love you so much." I whispered to her before crashing my lips onto hers.

Unable to keep my hands still, I let them roam. She fisted her hands into my hair pulling hair fiercely and exposing my neck. Audible moans escaped out of my throat at her touch. I loved her. It wasn't that I wanted her either. I needed her.

"Girls...." a sexy voice filtered into our minds stopping us in our tracks." I am having an extremely difficult time concentrating on giving these pups instructions right now. If you would like to join us, I suggest you stop what you are doing and come on down. I am having a rather difficult time restraining myself and keeping control."

This caused both of us to giggle.

"Yes Alpha." was our response before we climbed out of bed and changed before we headed down the stairs to our mate for training.