Epilogue Chapter 3

Before I could process what he said, he was standing in front of me. His eyes were mossy green and blazing. 

"Um, can I get a little space please? You're kind of freaking me out a little."

"No. I will not give you space." He said, somehow moving closer than I thought was possible."What's your name?"

I looked around us. Everyone was staring. I was sure this guy was fixing to kick my ass and all I had was my bow and arrows to protect me. And everyone of these guys were standing around, none of them offering to lend me a hand, or at least go and tell an adult.

"Your name, tell me it."

"Jude, you're scaring her. She isn't like us. Do you not remember what your father debriefed us on." The girl spoke.

I think I seen the slightest fraction of recognition that someone was speaking to this Jude guy but he didn't move back, not even an inch. In an open field, I felt like I was suffocating under smoke and fire. Tears sprung to my eyes. When they started falling, he finally snapped out of his trance.

"I'm, uh, I'm sorry. My name is Jude." He said looking back at everyone to see that they were still watching this encounter, still not moving.

Suddenly they all began to walk away, even the girl, although lastly and reluctantly.

"What the hell? Um, hello. Ya'll are leaving me with this psycho 3 times my size."

"They have to. I told them to."

"When?"

"Just now."

"Oh, right, with your telepathic powers?" I scoffed.

"Exactly."

"Okay, well I think I heard you tell me I could leave to, so on that note ---"

I didn't even finish my sentence. I took off running. I don't even't think I made it an inch before strong arms wrapped around my stomach. The tingling and warmth that spread through my body was so shocking I didn't even have the brain power to react properly. There was no flailing or kicking, not that it would do any good. When I was finally put down, and my brain caught up, I was pissed.

"Dude, what is your malfunction."

"You're mine." He shrugged as if that explained everything. "Now, please, tell me your name."

I don't know if it was the fact that he said please or the tired plea in his voice but I caved.

"Catie. My name is Catie Timbers." I had taken my mother's last name. So had my father. They said it was the family name that they wanted to keep alive.

"My father said you would be coming to our school. I just didn't realize you were already here. Your scent is what I picked up when I came to school Monday. It's what has been off and bugging me all week!" He laughed.

Why would his dad tell him I'm coming? Also, my scent? I sniffed trying to make sure that I didn't have an odor. I had never had an issue before. 

"I smell?"

"Yes. Not a bad smell. Just a different one, like Gardenias."

"Ooookay."

"Well, Jude was it?" He nodded. "I gotta get going since we aren't having practice."

"No, you can't."

Fear crept on me and almost swallowed me. What was this guys problem? 

"I just mean, can I get your number? I'd like to call you sometime."

"I don't even know you."

"Well, you could get to know me."

"I'm not sure."

"Well, take tonight to think about it."

"Okay."

This time when I broke into a run to get back to the school, no arms grabbed me to keep me in place. Strangely, I was disappointed.

***********************************************************************************************

I took a little longer getting home. My mind had to process what happened. Everyone in that school was super weird but I had chalked it up to the fact that it was a prep school. And Jude was no exception to the weird. He acted like he owned everyone there. They listened to him without even a question. Is that what being an athlete was like? Maybe he was like the football star or something. But, Bromwell didn't have a football team. Geez. I have no clue what was going on. And although things were strange, I was actually really excited. Jude was a good looking guy, and he was interested in me. It's not that I was an ugly girl, but I didn't have an ideal body type. I was straight, tiny. I had no boobs, no curves. Just toned muscles from archery. If anything, I looked more like a middle school guy. So why would someone that looked like him be interested in me?

When I arrived home, there was a strange truck in the driveway. I could be one of the investors for mom's company. I wasn't sure. I thought I knew most everyone in the company, they were all family or family friends. But, maybe this was someone new. 

I shrugged my bag over my shoulder and began walking towards the house. I heard shouts before I ever opened the door. My dad's voice angry and booming permeated the air.

"She has no clue what's going on. She doesn't know who you are, what you are, or even what she is for that matter. You expect me to just let her go live with you just because, Jude thinks she is his mate?"

"I don't think, I know."

Jude? Why is he here?

"Let's all just calm down and try to come to a rational decision." another voice boomed. It almost made me cringe with it's authoritative tone.

I had barely opened the door when everything went silent. I guess they heard me come in. I walked into the living room to find my father pacing. Jude and an older version of him, which I assumed was his dad, stood next to the couches. My mother sat, facing away from me. She must've been crying because even though she was turned away, I could tell she was wiping at her eyes.

"Mom, Dad, what's going on?"

"I'll tell her." Jude interrupted.

"The hell you will." My father responded.

"Watch how you talk to the future Alpha." Jude's dad responded.

"Cale, Toby, Jude, calm down. Have a drink or something." My mom said as she stood.

My mother gently took me by the hand and walked me into the kitchen. 

"I'll take care of this."