Epilogue: Chapter 4

My mother led me to the kitchen and I sat on the stool and waited.

She walked to the refrigerator and took out some milk and placed it in the microwave. Then she went to the pantry and grabbed a packet of Swiss Miss hot chocolate.

"Remember when you were a little girl and you didn't feel well, I would make you hot chocolate?"

"Yeah, I do. It's always been my favorite."

She smiled a sad smile.

"Mom, can you just spit it out please? Whatever it is, I will handle it."

"Okay." She said, sitting in front of me and sliding the hot chocolate across the counter to me.

"Your a descendant of wolves."

I laughed until I realized she wasn't kidding. She was the opposite of joking. She was in tears.

I went silent.

"My parents were Luke and Jemma Timbers, Alpha and Luna to the Iron Ridge Wolf pack. Your uncle, Carter, was supposed to become Alpha but was killed in combat. His Luna, Joya and their unborn child was killed as well. He had to Lunas. The other, Cat, whom you are named after had magic powers. Her father was an evil man and he set out to kill all of us. And it almost did."

I still sat, shocked into silence.

"As you know, I was a sick child, which caused my wolf to die when I was very young. She couldn't help me. However, Cat did. She healed me. Your father's wolf is absent too. We thought you would never have to worry about any of this. We've been secretly running the "company" which is a wolf pack, and not an actual business. Everyone around you on the estate is a wolf. We've went through great lengths to keep all of that hidden from you. We thought we were protecting you. Wolves have great responsibilities, and pride. The next pack is always looking for a reason to take down the next pack to gain rank and nobility. I was so scared after my family perished in the war that if you were exposed to wolves, that your life would be in danger."

She was sobbing again. I was still silent. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was this real? My mom had no reason to lie to me. However, wolves and magic sounded completely ridiculous.

"Please, say something."

"So, if this is real, what does that mean for me? And what the hell is a mate?"

"Cate, don't use language like that."

"You're kidding me right? You just told me wolves are real and you're going to bust my non-existent balls about a cuss word."

My mom laughed for the first time this afternoon.

"Well, you may or may not have a wolf. There is really no way to tell until you go through the change. However, most wolves go through the change at 13. You will be 18 next week and you haven't so it isn't likely. And a mate.... well that is a little more complicated."

"Go on."

"Wolves have mates, like soul mates. The person they are destined to spend the rest of their life with. If you accept your mate, you belong to them and them to you. If you reject them, you take away their soul and shatter yours in return. You can be happy and so can your mate, you just won't feel fulfilled. You will always feel like you are missing something."

"And Jude thinks that I am that for him?"

"He does."

"How?"

"Well, it's by a touch, a look in the eyes, a feeling. Do you not feel anything at all?"

Did I feel anything? I wasn't sure. I felt drawn to him. However, it wasn't a love at first sight situation that you always here about.