Chapter 7: Indecisive Jerk

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bacon." Joya says emerging from the closet fully dressed.

"Ugg, go away. I have only had like 4 hours of sleep," I moaned

"Morning to you to sunshine."

Joya was an incredibly cheerful person in the mornings. I hated her for it. It's not necessarily that I hate mornings, I just don't like parts of it. Like I hate the part where the sun rises and I hate I hate that part of the day where you have to start interacting with people; that's all really. Soon enough, J is back in the bed with me and I find myself hoping that she will get comfortable and skip school. I certainly want to skip work. But that was just wishful thinking.

By the time I realized that her motives were evil, it was too late. She stuck her cold, clammy feet on my back. I HATE feet. This action of hers resulted in me falling off the bed and taking all of the sheets with me. I was practically having a ninja fight with her midnight blue silk sheets and they were unfortunately winning. I could hear Joya cackling so hard that she was practically choking.

"You look like you're doing some kind of old Indian ritual like Sandra Bullock done with Betty White on The Proposal, except with more violence. This is awesome and hilarious." She said as she calmed her laughter enough to breathe.

"Glad you're enjoying the show. I'll be here all week." I bowed gracefully once I had managed to stand and made my way to the bathroom.

I looked at my phone and realized it was already 7a.m. I had about 40 minutes to get dressed if I wanted to be at work on time. 32 minutes later I had showered, straightened my hair, brushed my teeth, applied mascara and lip gloss, and was fully dressed. I was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans with suspenders, up under the suspenders I had on a heather gray V-neck t-shirt. I pulled my white blazer on over it and laced up my white sequence converse. Joya had already left for school, so I grabbed an apple and some peach juice and left for the office.

"Good Morning, Miller's, this is Cat. May I help you?"

The phone had been relentlessly ringing all morning and Tawny had yet again, disappeared. It was almost 1 o'clock and I was starved. I had not seen Carter all morning but Tanner said he was in his office. Butterflies erupted in my stomach at the thought of him being so close. I pushed those feelings away, threatening those damn butterflies with an exterminator. Thank goodness I had been too busy to dwell too much on it.

"Yo, Cat, Carter wants you to run down to Checkers and get us some burgers and fries. Tell them Miller's usual and they will know what you want." Tanner called out.

Tanner looked so good all greased up and holding some spark plugs in his hand, not as good as Carter, but he was still promisingly close.

"Tawny is MIA. Who is going to answer the phone?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"It can ring for a minute. It's only a 5 minute walk just around the block. Now hurry up. I'm freaking starving."

I made my way to Checkers on the corner in a few minutes. I picked up the order and got myself a chicken sandwich and a dr. pepper float, then rushed back to the shop.

"Where is my burger and fries? Tanner is starved and Carter wants to see you in his office." Tawny yelled at me before I could even get the door shut behind me. She had finally decided to grace us with her presence. Yay me!

I threw the bag of food at her and walked towards the garage door. Tanner was working on a '69 mustang convertible for restoration for this really old, apparently rich, man. Tanner said he had more money than Bill Gates, but the guy seemed really sweet. I remember the day he came in. His hair was a soft, thin white and he was cleanly shaved. He wore these railroad looking striped overhauls that hugged his rather large stomach. He just wore a plain white tee under them. He had would pull his glasses down on his nose when talking to Tanner about his expectations when he brought the car in. He had the perfect grandpa theme going on. I never knew my grandparents. My father said my paternal grandparents had passed and that I wasn't allowed to see my maternal grandparents because they were the reason I was in his words "deformed."