Chapter 15: The Great Ending to Date Night

After our fiasco, dinner went rather smoothly. We spent the night conversing about various topics. Everything was delicious and Carter even opted to buy us dessert, which we were both too full to accept. After he paid the bill and tipped the waiter, we stepped out of the restaurant full and completely satisfied. The night air bit into my skin and the crisp wind assaulted my throat as I inhaled.

"Let's just walk." Carter suggested. "The club is just a couple of blocks."

Joya and I just nodded and gave each other a slighted smile. Men don't understand what its like to walk in heels and I didn't expect Carter to be the exception. I was okay with it, but after I got a few drinks in me, and someone usually had to carry me!

We all walked towards the club, and fell into a unison stride. Carter slung his arm lazily over my shoulders and I relished in the unfamiliar comfort of our closeness. I glanced over and watched as he slipped his hand into Joya's and their fingers intertwined. The bustling city noises faded off into the distance of my mind as I enjoyed the silence of my mate and my lover. It was a strange concept and if I thought to hard about it, fear would rise into my throat and I'd almost lose my breath. That feeling you get when you are afraid of heights and you are standing to close to the edge, that fear is what I feel every time I think of being mated to someone. But I pushed it aside and just decided to leave it behind me and enjoy one carefree night.

Benches aligned the sidewalk and were accompanied by tall black iron street lamps. A feeling of coziness drifted happily through the air and curtsied along the side walk around us. Unfortunately, We passed an older human couple who scoffed at our ménage trois predicament. Carter and I both were instantly on edge at that sound and bowed up at the couple who suddenly looked frightened by the growls protruding from within us. Joya placed her hand on both of us and instantly calmed us down. Carter became relaxed by her touch as his mate. That's what the mate bond does. It comforts you like a warm blanket and chases away all negativity. As for me, no Joya and I were not mated, but she has always had the calming affect on me. She is level headed and sensible when I am irrational.  She can bring me back to that point of doing what I knew deep down all along was right.

"We have a club to get to and I am aching to dance with the both of you." She reminded us.

Carter growled one last time as we retreated and I spat at their feet. Damn humans thinking they know everything with their picture perfect, cookie cutter, plastic, materialistic air-headedness.

After we walked a little further, rap beats bounced through the air and the sound waves tapped into my ear which put me instantly in a better mood. We edged closer to the club and I was amazed at the amount of people that lined the large blonde brick building. There had to have been 100 people littering the sidewalk. Carter grabbed mine and Joya's hand and abruptly yanked us forward towards the front entrance which caused a lot of ugly glares and snide remarks. I didn't care. I even managed to stick my tongue out like a child at a few of them secretly singing "na na na na nana" in my head. I was curious how Carter thought we were going to get in. What was he going to do, just waltz past security and and give him a thumbs up? I picked my jaw up of the concrete when he did exactly that.

"What the hell was that?" I exclaimed.

"I'm future alpha Cat. Did you honestly think I was going to wait in line? This is my territory." Carter replied confidently.

As soon as we entered, my senses went into overload. So many wolf scents assaulted my nose and even a few human ones. The air seemed thin and sticky. I had never been around that many people and I felt as if I was having a panic attack. I feared crowds tremendously, but not because I'm not personable person, but because I lack trust and feel like there is someone always out there ready to take my life without a second thought. Immediately sensing my apprehension Joya placed her hand in mine as Carter ushered us through the crowds of people towards the bar.