Chapter 30: Locked up, won't let me out

CAT’S POV

“FUCK.” I screamed for likely the 100th time. I pace back and forth hitting everything in sight, being careful to avoid the door of death this time.

“Please calm down.” Joya requested. “You are scaring Cassie.”

I whipped my head around to glare at Joya for even suggesting I calm down but quickly thought better of it when I noticed Cassie on the corner of the bed with her knees drawn up to her chest and tears streaming down her face. I crossed the room quickly and lifter her up into my lap like she was a child and not a teenage girl. I pressed her head against my shoulder and wrapped my arms around her small frame tightly.

“I’m sorry. I am so so sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I am livid. I cannot believe your brother locked us away in here.” I claimed exasperatedly.

When Carter told me he had to show Joya and me something, I was quite excited to be honest. I was sure there must have been a secret weapon or something that would tip the weight of the fight in our favor. I had no effing idea he was going to bring us down to the prisoners bunks and lock us behind a double-sided silver plated door. Well played Mr. Alpha, well played.

Although, I was surprised to see Cassie sitting on one of the bed s reading a new John Grishom book as if she hadn’t a care in the world. She had smiled brightly when we were gently place inside the room by Jack despite my literal kicking and screaming. Her smile did falter however when she noticed how unhappy I was. Joya sat down beside her and made herself comfortable. She might have been okay with being placed in her, but I was not. And so I began punching anything closest to me. This was my battle, my war. I brought my problem to this pack and they were outside the walls fighting for me. I understood Carter thought he was protecting me. He really was trying to be the hero. But I needed the finality, the closure of killing my father, even if it cost me my own life.

I looked down at Cassie. She had stopped crying and Joya was leaned back on the end of the bed with her eyes shut. I could tell she was awake but she seemed to be trying to just remain calm and instill a serene environment, which was something I had no experience in. I looked back down at Cassie and then around the room. My eyes landed on the door that I had so stupidly punched when we first arrived about an hour ago. The sizzle of the silver lasted on my knuckles for only a second before I pulled my hand away. Joya had gotten the first aid kit out and wiped my knuckles with some kind of salve Tommy, the pack doctor, had concocted. It was kept in the first aid kit inside of the barracks.

I glanced down at my knuckles to review the damage again. They were still highly red and irritated but not gruesome where the flesh was charred. My wolf healing would heal it completely soon enough. We just need to get out of here. Trix reminded me anxiously. Yeah I know that but I’m a werewolf and I can’t touch the door idiot. I thought back to her. No, but the human in your arms can. Cassie! That was the answer. All I had to do was convince her to open the door and I’d be off to the fight in no time. Idiot. Trix finished.

“Cassie, listen to me, I know your brother put us in here to protect us. He should have. But I need to be out there fighting. This whole battle is because of me.”

Joya’s eyes shot open but she didn’t chime in. I could feel her stare on me and for a brief second, I met her gaze. IN her eyes, I could tell she understood I had to do this. She understood me better than anyone. I gently pushed Cassie away from me at arms’ length and place my hands on her shoulder. I looked desperately in her eyes but spoke sternly.

“I cannot sit in here knowing people, my pack, your family are outside of these walls dying because of me. Cass, I watched my brother die. It was like I felt his soul leave his body inside of my heart. He died because of me.”