Chapter 21 The Truth Will Set You Free (and all of that good jazz)

I woke to the hellacious sound of murmuring in my head. I sat up in the bed shaking my head from side to side trying to force the voices out through my ears. I looked around dazed and confused. I couldn’t process what had happened last night and how I ended up in Carter’s room again and why I was alone with the constant humming of noise coming from inside of me. As if my confusion was a distress call, Carter strolled in the room with Joya fresh on his heels. I am sure I looked crazy with my fingers inside of my ears and my knees drawn up to my chest rocking back and forth vigorously shaking my head like a mental patient.

“Whoa there Cat, calm down baby. It’s okay. Just envision closing a door. Think about shutting out the sounds.” Carter added ti the noise already flowing through my mind.

I did as he said. I visualized closing a door and it stopped, easy as that.

“What in the hell was that?” I exclaimed as I jumped off the bed.

“Since you and Joya have now been given the mate mark, you are now both the Luna. The pack has connected with you both now. That bond opens up a link to every pack member. The noise was from the pack’s mind link. Anyone who had an open mind link was infiltrated to you and Joya.”

I stared at Carter for several moments until I was sure that I understood and could comprehend everything that he said. I knew for a fact last night I wanted to be Luna so that I could protect them and belong to a family but now standing here, I wasn’t so sure. But before I really had time to panic I made up my mind that what was done was done. I am over being scared of heartbreak and every other emotion. I am going to be happy dammit, even if it’s for a short while!

“Well since I am Luna, can I implicate a “no mind linking before noon” rule?”

Carter looked at me with an awestruck expression and Joya’s mouth hung open. I guess they didn’t expect me to take this change so well. Booyah, in yall’s face.

Carter shook off his astonishment. “I will be sure and bring that up in the next pack meeting.” He responded sarcastically.

“We brought some breakfast for all of us. It’s only 8a.m. but Carter said he had to go to some meetings for the better half of the morning until time to train so I figured we could at least all have breakfast together before starting our day.” Joya announced, setting three plates of food on the bed.

We ate and conversed lightly about our day and what all we were going to do. Carter had to travel to few territories to check out any alliances we might be able to form. As a quiet and reserved pack they had no need until now but Carter is confident they could get a few packs on our side. He said there was a pack called the Black Stone Pack and they will join alliance with anyone just to get to fight. They are considered ruthless which will be a good balance of our strategic skills mixed with their brute force. Joya decided she wanted to take my grandparents, Anna and Archer, into town and show them some of the sites and go shopping. I immediately refused to go with them. Not only could I not deal with Anna’s constant cheery disposition but I absolutely loathed shopping. I could deal with site seeing as long as it involved history or art museums but this would be a great excuse to visit Cassie again. Maybe even Toby could stay with me, help me.  So by 10am we were all fed, dressed, and ready to start our day. Carter was dressed in a light pair of ripped jeans and a dark gray v-neck shirt. His ripped biceps protruding out of the arms of the tee was enough to have me salivating. Joya emerged next. Her long raven hair was wrapped tightly in a bun. She was wearing a pair of khaki shorts and a neon pink v-neck  shirt much like Carter’s.  She had light make up on her eyes, a beige color and some eye liner. She was wearing this beautiful pink shimmering lip gloss that glistened like sap falling from the tree in the sun. How in the hell I got so lucky to have these to, I don’t even know. Here I sat just in a pair of black yoga pants and a bright yellow tank. My hair was still wet from the shower and I just braided it into two pig tails.