Chapter 25: I'm a Father

Carter's POV

I couldn't believe it. The person I was in love with, my mate, she was a liar. I protected myself for so long. I was a jerk to keep everyone from getting close to me. It was my shield to keep everyone away from me, from my family, from Cassie. With one freaking touch from her my defense mechanism came crashing down. My sensibility went out the window and I turned into jello at her mercy. Dammit, I trusted her. I put my future pack on the line to protect her and she just lied.

I sat on my bed staring at the black wall in front of me. The giant bay windows were open and the sweet summer air drifted into the room. The warmth of the sun rays filtered across me and caused me to unconsciously relax. My anger transferred to disappointment and hurt. Joya had left out of the room a few minutes after Cat left. I don't know if it was to give me time to calm down or so that she, herself, could recover from the news that was unloaded on us. Well, the news was more thrown at us like bricks rather than unloaded. I honestly couldn't believe Joya didn't even know Cat was a healer. She was her best friend for fuck sake. I might have even been slightly understanding that she didn't tell me, but Joya had been there with her from the moment the shit happened. She certainly had the right to know.

I just didn't understand. I didn't see her point of view at all. I am her mate. She should've trusted me enough to tell me. Here I was acting like a love sick puppy doing everything I could to protect her and make her feel needed, wanted, and a part of my family and she was being deceitful. And to top it all off, Toby knew. She told him instead of me. I knew from the moment she introduced him as her cousin, the surprised look in his eyes told me something was off. Of course, I must have been pretty oblivious of a lot of things. After all, she was healing Cassie this whole time behind my back.

Cassie. I needed to go down after dinner and talk to her. I couldn't believe how beautiful and healthy she looked. She was completely healed. I felt an overwhelming warmth spread inside my veins. I was grateful for Cat healing her. I couldn't believe she would do that for me, for my family, for Cassie. I had my sister back. As mad as I was at Cat for concealing her secret, I admired her love and courage to selflessly use her gift to save my sister. That damn mate of mine. I just don't know if I will ever understand her. Unwillingly, sticky, hot water formed inside my eyes and as they overfilled, they fell down my face as realization hit me. I had my sister back.

I rushed downstairs to find Cassie, Joya, Mom, Dad, Archer and Anna sitting in the living room. I instantly grabbed Cassie and held her close. I sat down on the couch and pulled her onto my lap. It's been forever since I have been able to hold her like this without her hurting. I could stay in this moment forever. I feel if I blink I could miss it. It's almost as if she isn't even real. I played with her copper ringlets pulling each strand down and watching them bounce back to their original state. I was scared to hold her too tight but I couldn't seem to loosen my grip for fear of her disappearing. Her skin was the color of peach roses and had the soft texture of them to, so flawless. She had daddy's green eyes and for the first time in a long time they sparkled with more life than I have ever seen. The thing that caught me by surprise was she was no longer my baby sister. She wasn't a ten year old little girl. She was a beautiful young teenager.

"Hey big brother. Could you give me a little elbow room? I can't breathe."

I let a hardy laugh along with everyone else in the room. "Sorry Cas, I have just missed you so much. I am just so thankful you are healthy."

"Me to Carter," I could see a weary smile creep on her face "thanks to Cat." She answered.

Before I had an opportunity to respond, I noticed a figure standing in the doorway.

"Hey Cassie. How're feeling?" Toby asked with a carefree smile on his face.

Before Cassie had a chance to even think about responding, I had picked her up and placed her behind me and charged at him. My fist connected with his face before he even had a chance to flinch. Delivering several blows in a blur I faintly heard someone screaming for me to stop. Toby, however, just laid there as I took all my anger out on him. Realizing he wasn't fighting back I sat up.