Tobias

Being a carter let me say, was so easy! I had all the food I could eat and great protection. When the others went out to hunt I was always left on guard duty. I had suspicions that they didn't like me, but I didn't care.

Me being alone with the huge pile of supplies gave me the opportunity to work on the time machine. I was almost done with it and just needed a few more parts. when the careers said they were going hunting for tributes today I knew It could probably give me the perfect opportunity to finish.

"Tobias, you guard our camp while we are gone," Cato said.

"Yes sir," I replied.

In my head I did a happy dance.

The only bad thing about being a career was that I hadn't found Tris yet. She would be so mad when I found her. I knew she was alive but I just knew she would hate me for leaving her like that.

I made my way over the land mines on a special path do as not to blow them up. I grabbed a couple wires and knives and say in a lawn chair by the tent to work.

I was fiddling with the wires to get the last one back in place. With precision I connected the last wires and closed the coin sized contraption. It was done.

Now all I had to do was find the others.

It was starting to get dark when I saw a figure running from the woods. I picked up some knives and aimed before I saw who it was. I put a knife in my belt before I ran to her.

As we met in the middle of the field she wrapped her arms around me and I did the same to her. as I had her pulled to me she said, "why did you leave me?"

"It was for the best. If I stayed with the careers I could finish the time machine which I did and get supplies. I'm sorry," I said.

"It's ok because you finished the time machine," she said. Then we kissed for a few precious moments.

We decided we would leave while the careers were gone. We filled some canteens with water from the lake and punt supplies In a pack. I tucked the time machine into my coat pocket and then we headed out into the dark woods.