Chapter 5

Chapter 5 Updated and Edited 12/09/2021

When I first came to, I noticed silence besides the sound of steady breathing and warmth.

Steady breathing which I've already grown accustomed to since my arrival yesterday. And a body that was holding her tightly against them.

Michael was in the room. And he was holding her.

I opened my eyes to meet Michael's chin and neck. From what I could tell, we were sitting in a nurse's office and it was mostly quietly besides our breathing and that of distant voices outside.

I slowly pushed away from Michael's chest and embrace and glanced around to gather my bearings. Michael's presence was growing familiar already, and I don't know how to feel about it. He hasn't hurt me yet but then again it's only been not even 24 hours since we've met.

Michael's hand still gripped my knee, and softly squeezed allowing me to turn my attention towards him. He merely cocked his head slightly as if trying to ask me something.

I stared at him for a few seconds before trying to pull my legs away, to get up. His grip held steady.

"You can let me go now Michael, I'm okay," I whispered, glancing from him to the door. Loomis' voice was just outside.

His grip didn't waiver.

I sighed and finally said, "You don't have to worry about me, I just wasn't expecting the man who made me come into a place like this to actually be here. And no, I am not telling you anything else. Right now..."

He nodded but then gently pulled me back to original position. His body warmth was welcoming. The nurse's office was chilly...

The door swung open and Loomis and a nurse stepped in, both of them clearly shocked to see me for one awake and two still curled up against the man.

"Ah Sarafina, I am glad to see you awake. You did hit your head on the ground when you passed out so we will need to have that checked out. I am sorry that we did not let you know that Mr. Richards was indeed also here. He is on the criminal jail side of this facility. There are three divisions on this facility, psychiatric, criminal, and recovery. Michael is a part of both that's why he has his own room and small hallway," Loomis explained and my grip turned white against grasping Michael's arm.

"Just do not let him near me, Please. I beg of you. If I see him again," I trailed off. If I finished that sentence I would probably end up in the psyche word faster than anyone else here.

"We will keep you safe upon your time here," Loomis nodded, before gesturing to the nurse standing beside him.

"This is Nurse Mason, she is to make sure that you do not have a concussion," I tried to move out of Michael's arms once more only for him to grip on me harder.

"Michael, she needs to check my head so I do not get any other injuries or repercussions," I turned and looked him in the eyes.

"It will only be a few minutes."

Michael slowly released me before I was able to stand up without any wobbling.

The nurse was quick and decided that I should be okay but told Loomis to keep an eye on me just in case.

"Michael, I know that you don't usually communicate with me but if anything seems off with Sarafina please get the attention of a guard," Michael's eyes let me know that I would be watched. Whether I liked it or not.

A few days passed and Michael was a looming figure in my periphery. He was always one step behind and always watching. Every night I would curl up and watch him methodically paint new masks or fix or change the old ones. Every morning, I would find a new animal or flower made of paper by my pillow.

Being locked up always gave me time to think and it wasn't always the greatest of things to remember or think about.

Flashback

''He's bad news,'' my friend Natalie would always say.

We had left the theatre after meeting up with Vince for a late night movie. We climbed in the car and Nat was clearly uncomfortable. Not noticing the set of eyes on them.

'''He's not what it seems.'' That's the last thing I said to my bestfriend when she was killed in car crash.. No one knew hit Natalie that night on her way home from dropping me off. The police report said that there was suspicious evidence among the scene.

''You slashed her damn seat belt didn't you,''' I cried while backing away from her supposedly nice, innocent, boyfriend, Vince, who just smirked darkly at me.

''She was in the way. She took up all your time and I couldn't get enough of you...''

End of Flashback:

I sighed loudly before turning to face the wall, feeling a pair of eyes on my back.

"Don't date psychotic people, Michael. They'll only break you."

I heard movement from behind me and then a hand brush hair back away from my face before drifting off into the land of sleep and surprisingly for once, no nightmares.