Peter

Tony was too numb for words. There were tears streaming down his face, but that didn't matter. He stopped in front of the boy and kneeled down before him, watching. His eyes were almost shut, swollen, and his face looked to be at peace. In that moment, he saw it. The shade of pink that was quickly fading from the boy's lips, the pale coloured skin stretched across a familiar looking face, the dark, inky black to his hair. Knife lodged in his shoulder.

In that moment, Tony looked down and saw the corpse of his dead-  and realised it was too late.

"Tony."

His head snapped up and he looked at Natasha like she was speaking Chinese. The red head held his gaze and spoke again, and Tony saw her lips move, he recognised she was saying something but it just *didn't make sense*. Finally, Natasha took Tony's hand and brought it to the body. He tried to pull away but she wouldn't let him. There, she pressed two of his fingers to the boy's throat, matted with dry blood and waited.

And waited

And waited

Until he felt a tiny little beat.

"He's alive."

It's Steve, Tony is sure about this, who was the first to come to his senses and get help. He called out to Hill back at S.H.I.E.L.D. who sent in an emergency helicopter that was there within five minutes. They loaded the kid's body up and took him away quickly, without a word. Tony didn't know who exactly pushed her on, but Natasha was there too, still clutching on to her friend's hand as though he might evaporate.

They ended up in a hospital, one that met S.H.I.E.L.D.'s impossible standards so Tony didn't think to complain. When they landed on the helipad, Tony and Natasha were taken as far as the emergency room before a nurse pulled them back and forced them into a waiting room near by.

Natasha tried to comfort Tony but she'd never been good at those kind of things anyway. Eventually, they just sat in silence after Tony almost hit her, which led to her punching Tony in the face, bringing him back. The doctors told them there was a chapel next door, and were welcomed to go while they operated. Not that either of the two went, both too pessimistic to believe in that at the moment.

The Avengers came and went, but there wasn't much anyone could say. Peter was still in surgery and no one heard anything from anyone. For three more hours he sat there, waiting in an uncomfortable chair before the world decided they'd given Tony enough peace and began to attack.