sixteen

"he what?" i blurted, my eyes widening.

"he wants you to have sex with someone, rosalina."

"that hijo de puta -"

"rose, calm down. we're just going to have to talk him out of this." jack said, pacing the kitchen.

"the answer is no. simple." i told jack, folding my arms across my chest.

"you have to actually show up there tonight though, rose, and it might not be that easy."

i looked at him like he was crazy, because he must be if he isn't freaking out as well.

"jack, i don't think you're thinking correctly. he wants to fucking pimp me, your girlfriend, out." i shouted. jack brought a finger to his lips and shushed me.

"do you want me to tell you who his client is?" jack asked calmly.

"no, because im not doing it."

i left the room and went up to the spare bedroom, locking the door behind myself. i can't believe that jack would even consider letting me sleep with somebody else for money.

there was a knock at the door but i ignored it, gathering my phone charger and earphones and shoving them into my purse. when i opened the door, jack was standing there.

"where are you going?" he asked, confused.

"home."

"why?"

"because you don't care if i have sex with some random guy for money and that says a whole lot about this relationship." i yelled, fighting back my tears.

"i do care, rose. but when it's someone who offered the amount he did i was thinking of you and the fact that you'd be able to pay off your tuition in one night."

"i'd rather be able to pay it off in six months than one night if it means having to cheat on you."

"i'm just looking out for you babe." jack followed me as i went down the stairs. "please don't go."

"i'll see you after work."

-

"are you going to do it?" shasta asked me. "i would. i don't get why mario doesn't ask me to do these things. i have a daughter to support, $60,000 sounds good."

"there's probably a catch." i laughed. "what man is so desperate that he offers sixty k for sex?"

"true. but im not questioning money. tell mario no, that shasta will do it."

"will do."

i was on drinks tonight, probably as some kind of punishment for not taking the client. i didn't mind though, because i still got pretty great tips. all my mind could go to throughout the night was the fact that jack was willing to let me do that.

by the time 4 AM rolled around, i was exhausted. no amount of Red Bull was going to wake me up anymore than i was, so i was very grateful that i was off of work and able to go home.

i pulled into jack's driveway and entered the house quietly, sneaking up the stairs and into his room. he was asleep, shirt off and sprawled across the bed. i laughed a little, taking off the lingerie i wore to work and replacing it with one of jack's shirts before crawling into the bed beside him and pulling the blanket over me.

"rosie?" jack mumbled groggily.

"yeah, it's me." i said, putting an arm across his chest.

"i love you."