twenty four

i watched from the front row as jack, johnson, nate, and ben carried sam's casket into the room. annie squeezed my hand, my heart dropping once again at the realization of the finality of it all.

he is gone.

i will never see his eyes again.

i will never feel his embrace again.

my eyes started welling up and annie wrapped her arm around me.

"we have each other, rosie." she whispered to me.

"he called me rosie." i sobbed. i noticed a few people giving me sympathetic glances.

his casket was set at the front of the room and jack came and sat one row behind me with the rest of sam's closest friends.

jack has been very understanding throughout this, mainly because he knows sam's impact on my life. he just doesn't know.. everything.

"rosalina, is there anything you want to say about sammy?" lori asked me.

i nodded before thinking. "i have no clue what to say."

"say what you feel." emily said, wiping her eyes but smiling.

-

ben stepped down and i walked up to the podium, the tearful eyes of sammy's family and friends meeting mine.

"hi, not many of you know me, but we've been able to meet within the last few days." i began, laughing awkwardly. "my name is rose. i'm sammy's ex girlfriend."

i could tell my cheeks were red. jack's eyes were glued to me and it was like they were burning through me.

"sammy was my first love. i met him back home in los angeles when i was fifteen. i don't know how to describe what we had together but it is something that will never be matched by anyone else."

jack's jaw clenched.

"i will always blame myself for what happened to sammy, but i will always be grateful that his last few days were with me. i love you sam."

jack rose from his seat and walked down the aisle, all eyes on him as he left. my heart sank.

"excuse me."

i ran down the aisle and out of the door, seeing jack walking swiftly down the hall.

"jack!"

he turned around and stopped, folding his arms.

"i knew it. you still loved him."

"jack, please don't do this here." i begged, grabbing his forearms gently. he pulled back.

"save it, rosalina."

he pulled something from his pocket.

"here."

he walked off and i uncrumpled the paper he handed me.

it was a check.

pay to the order of rosalina ventura- $350,000

signed jack finnegan-gilinsky.

my heart sank to my feet.

"jack!" i called after him, but he didn't turn around. didn't even flinch.

i walked back into the room, everyone turning to face me momentarily. lori was speaking. jack was whispering something to emily when i walked up. when i sat down, he left the room again.

"what is he doing?" i asked emily.

"he's going back to california." she said quietly. "he says that he uh.. doesn't want to talk to you."

it was like i was stabbed in the chest. "what did i.."

jack's pov - 30 minutes prior

from: carly/babe's roommate
she hooked up with him.. don't tell her i told u

i looked up at rose, my fists clenched. i helped everyone carry sam in, one thing going through my mind..

this bastard fucked my girlfriend. the girl i planned to make my fiancée before she went back to alabama.

rose's pov

after the funeral was over, i went with emily to get my bags from jack's. she knew where his spare key was and luckily enough for me, he wasn't here. he must've left already.

"you can stay here and i'll drive you to the airport in the morning." she said when i got back to her car.

"thanks em." i sighed, running a hand through my hair. "i don't know what i did. he knows how i feel but he knows that it's him now."

"i don't know, rose." she shrugged. "maybe what tara said the other night got to him."

"stupid bitch." i rolled my eyes. my phone began to ring, johnson's name appearing. i answered immediately.

"hey!"

"hey, ro, listen.. i'm sorry about gilinsky."

"what do you mean?"

"i shouldn't get involved, but we can still be friends."

"why wouldn't we be?"

"this is his way of ending it. did he give you the check?"

"yes... what makes you think he's ending it?" i inquired.

"he told me he's done. that you cheated and that he won't be talking to you again."