twenty nine

6 months later

"so, skyler, you're from nyc?" my dad asked, cutting his steak and glaring at skyler. i gulped.

"yes sir, that's right." skyler smiled, taking a sip of his water.

"do you have a job?"

"typically, i work out in the hamptons at various country clubs over summer, and in winter i run the ice rink in central park." skyler responded.

"anything steady? college? future plans?"

"oh yeah." skyler laughed nervously. "i go to yale."

i swear i could almost see my dad choke on his steak.

"yale? as in new haven?"

skyler nodded. "for psychology. i plan to be a psychiatrist."

i took his hand on the table. "isn't that impressive?"

"compared to jack, of course it is." my mom laughed. hearing his name still made my heart sink.

he's been partying from what i've heard from nate and johnson. the few times jade got together with the guys, jack hasn't been like how he was. everyone said it was because of me, and how everything would be better if i came around while he was there.

but around three months ago, i started actually dating skyler.

he's extremely smart, funny, and most importantly: loyal.

"i don't think we need to put people down here," skyler laughed nervously. "there's been studies that show that we do that because we think it'll -"

"sky, babe, i think we have to go." i interrupted.

"what time is it?"

"6:30."

i took his plate to the kitchen and he followed behind me as i frantically tried to wash our dishes.

"there's no rush lina, it's fine." skyler laughed, kissing my cheek.

"the traffic from here to santa barbara won't be the easiest and we have to make it there before ten." i groaned.

"its a two hour drive, we'll be fine." he attempted to reassure me. i nodded and kissed him quickly.

"thank you."

JACK's POV

"g, i'm telling you right now she's going to this party." johnson said as we hopped back into the car.

"why do i not believe that? oh, maybe it's the trillion times you've told me rose would be somewhere just so i would go." i rolled my eyes, taking a swig of the tequila in my lap.

"see for yourself."

he proceeded to show me a text thread.

Rosalina 🥀
iMessage
Today at 4:47 pm
hey rose are you going to that party in sb later?

yeah!:)

aye lol. we'll see ya there

who's we?

the gang and i

ohhh 😯 ok see ya

and i'm bringing someone special ;)

"someone special?" i groaned. "she's bringing a guy?"