thirty two

"let me know how it goes." jack said, kissing my cheek. i took a deep breath and nodded.

"i got this." i said to myself before getting out of jack's car.

i walked up to my parents house and opened the door slowly.

"mom?" i called out, instantly hearing rapid footsteps.

"rose!" my mom beamed, her arms embracing me tightly. my dad entered the room as well.

"where's skyler?" he questioned.

the mention of his name alone brought back flashbacks from that night and i pursed my lips.

"we broke up."

my dad's eyes widened. "why?"

he wasn't ever the type to just ask why. my father was never this invested in any other relationship i've had.

"i think you should sit down, dad ." i said slowly.

"i don't like how this is going." he murmured, him and my mom both sitting down on the couch.

i took off the coat i was wearing. even though it was september, the los angeles heat still rode on. that should've been a sign.

the bruises from skyler's fingers were still around my arms and on my back, a huge bruise from me slamming against the wall was still prominent. a few cuts were scattered on my arms from the glass, but they were beginning to heal.

"skyler lo hizo?" my dad asked, rising to his feet.

i nodded, tears coming to my eyes. "that isn't the worst part."

"i know people, rosalina. we can take care of this."

"i'm pregnant." i blurted, his eyes widening but softening at the same time. "he got me pregnant, and that's why he did this."

"that son of a bitch isn't going to know what hit him." my dad growled, grabbing a coat and instantly leaving the house.

"hija, why didn't you tell me?" my mom asked, sitting beside me. jack entered the room and she seemed surprised.

"your dad asked me to come in." he said, awkwardly smiling at my mom.

she said nothing to him, her hand gently rubbing circles in my back. it reminded me of when she'd try to get me to sleep when i was younger, a thought that also brought tears to my eyes. in six months, i'll be bringing a life into this world. i'll be responsible for comforting my own child the way my mom is now.

"mrs. ventura, can i talk to you?" jack broke the silence.

"if you really need to."

her hostility towards him hurt even my feelings. both of my parents loved skyler so much, yet now jack is back in the picture. jack, who didn't go to college. jack, the musician. jack, the guy who got famous from an app.

he isn't skyler. he isn't in yale.

and i'm glad.

JACK'S POV

"you cheat on my daughter after getting our permission to marry her and now you're back?" rose's mother instantly began.

"i never would've hurt rose the way skyler did, and you know it. i know i'm not some privileged rich yale psych student, but i can give rose and her baby the best life."

rose's mom scoffed. "you broke her once. i won't let you do it again."

"rose is nineteen. she can decide for herself, whether you want her to or not."

i walked away, knowing damn well this discussion never would've went well.

ROSE's POV

while jack and my mom talked to each other, i received a text.

padre - on a flight to jfk in twenty. no one gets away with hurting my daughter.

it was like my stomach plummeted to my feet.

my dad confronting skyler was not what i wanted. it would only make matters worse. he already has done enough harm to my life and i didn't want him back in it.

jack entered the room once more, taking hold of my wrist "rose let's go."

"what's wrong?"

my mom entered. "do not leave with him, rosalina."

"what is going on here?" i asked, clearly confused.

"we're going to my house."

i followed jack out to his car and got in with him. "what's happening?"

"your mom wants me to be skyler. i can't be him."

he drives out of the driveway and begins down sunset boulevard.

"i don't want you to be him, jack." i said, resting my hand on his lap.

"she doesn't think i can give you or your son a good life." he laughed humorlessly.

"you can. i know you can. she's just upset, she loved you."

"your parents despise me." he retorted, coming to a halt in front of his house.

we both walked into the house. "they're mad at you for a reason."

"i know what i did was wrong, but rose, you were no better. you didn't tell them about what you did, did you?"

i shook my head silently.

"exactly."

"jack, please.." i sighed, sitting on the couch. "just let it go."

"will your parents ever let it go?" jack responded. once again, i was silent.

"didn't think so."

my phone rang and a name i hadn't seen in what felt like years, but was only three days, appeared.

skyler desmarais

i hesitated, but picked up on the second ring. i knew my dad was on his way to him. i knew that my dad had connections to people. i knew that he had connections in brooklyn, and most importantly, i knew why my dad was going there.

"rosalina." he spoke, my chest filling with anger at the sound of his voice.

"what do you want?" i asked slowly, anger lacing my words.

"i want you to come home. i want to talk about the baby."

"bullshit, skyler. you're never going to see me again." i responded. "we are done."

"i'm going to demand full custody over our child." he replied. "you're clearly unfit to be a mother, and look at me, i'm going to have a stronger income than a woman who was a stripper and got engaged to her sugar daddy."

"fuck you." my eyes were watering but i made sure the anger in my voice never wavered.

he hung up and i sat down at the island in jack's kitchen.

"what was that about?" jack asked softly.

"nothing." i sniffled. "he'll be getting what's coming to him."

AN: i'm going to be starting another story based on this idea i've been thinking of, but i don't know how to write it. awhile back, i wrote a story called "beware" and it was a gilinsky fic. i'm either going to rewrite it or write one similar? not sure yet :/